Another anodizing project

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Here are ladder rail decorative balls I turned on the lathe using my new ball turner. The old ball ends were plastic and cracked so I made two sets, one for my brother and one for myself.
I turned them out of aluminum and then anodized them and dyed them the Rit Dye color tan. They came out looking a lot like old brass. This will be a good test to see how well anodized parts processed with the sodium bisulfate anodizing solution and dyed with Rit clothes dye and then boil sealed will hold up to UV from the sun. Time will tell. :dunno:

IMG_2234_1.JPGIMG_2235_1.JPGIMG_2236_1.JPGIMG_2239_1.JPG

IMG_2234_1.JPG IMG_2235_1.JPG IMG_2236_1.JPG IMG_2239_1.JPG

Pretty cool, they came out looking like a brass or gold flake spray paint. Neat!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

looks good, curious if you clearcoated them or leaving the finish to the elements?

No they aren't clear coated They are anodized and the sealing of the anodizing layer by boiling should hold up pretty good but it is actually a long term test I want to see. I have had questions on how well the anodized layer being sealed by boiling water alone will hold up to ultra violet light and the other elements. This should turn out to be a good test because the son beats on this lamp post. If anything does beat it down it will be the UV from the sun. Being the post lamp is not on a well traveled street salt should not be an issue here even though that would be nice to add that to the test.

Have a great day!

Ed

I'm very curious. From the way I take it, you used nothing but RIT dye and boiling water, correct?

I do have to say that it looks like it did a great job. I'm curious as to the longevity of it.:goodjob2:

Yes, that is exactly what I used. The anodizing itself should hold up well for most environments but there is some discussion over will the dye fade in the sun. Time will tell as these parts are installed on my lamp post along the street.

Have a great day!

Ed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ok an update on using the Rit dye for anodizing an it being exposed to the sun. Yes, for exterior anodized parts that are exposed to the sun "UV" it does fade. The balls I made have been on the lamp post for 2 months now and there is definite fading going on. This proves, as someone said, you should use the "professional" anodizing dye for parts being exposed to the exterior elements. If the parts are only used for stuff not exposed to these conditions the Rit dye should be fine. I have many parts dyed with Rit and they look as good today as they did when I made them.

Ed

Thanks for the test as I am just getting started in anodizing, this is useful information.

The anodized layer has not broken down but the dye fade below that layer. Anodizing is a crystalline layer on top of the aluminum. The dye is trapped or enclosed in the crystal when it is boiled or chemically sealed. In the case of my parts they were sealed by boiling. There is no apparent degradation of the anodized layer therefore it appears the dye is fading below due to the UV. A automotive clear coat with UV blocker in it may help slow down the process of the dye fading. The only negative part of that would be it shouldn't have to be done. If the "professional" dye is used it shouldn't fade. Anodizing itself should hold up in harsh environments for long periods of time. Boy what a load of babble this has been. :jester:

i don't think it's a load of babble, to me it is a wealth of information of this process for anodizing. i feel that reading all these posts, i get more info to get a real headstart. i do thank you for sharing your info with all of us.
i'm retired and have some time to get it together:man::phew:

Back