Another auction buy..... A Do-all DH-612 surface grinder.

Marcel,

Using hydraulic fluid to lubricate the ways is a rather poor idea. That's one of the things I hated about my B&S 618. Using proper way lube in a dedicated circuit is a far superior solution. Hydraulic fluid just doesn't have the right properties to lubricate sliding ways.
My B&S 13 Universal grinder uses a Trabon lube system to distribute way lube to where it needs to be and the ways on this 1968 machine are flawless. The ones on my significantly younger 618 were pretty worn.
Any grinder of any sort I get in the future will have either a Trabon or Bijur lube system and will not rely on hydraulic fluid for this task.

I like the Micromaster SG's and that's probably what I'm going to buy to replace my big DoALL but the ones equipped with a Trabon lube system go right to the top of the list.

We had a lot of machines that used DET26 hyd oil for way lube, the problem with the B&S 618 is it is not filtered well enough and the oil drains back to the base with grit in it. Yes my ways don't look great from the wear but when it was running it was accurate. I'm thinking of going to a separate hyd system to help with the problem but first I need to get the ways cleaned up and the head back on it was to tall to fit in the trailer when I moved it from Buffalo, NY and it weighs about 3500# a floor jack works great to move it around so I can use the car lift to pick up the head.

Todd

There's one more thing you need... Some kind of a dust collector. Your shop (and lungs) will love you for it.

Ray
I just finished a dust collector last night. I made it from a shop-vac nozzle from home depot. I added a brush from an old dust brush attachment to the bottom, to catch the sparks that come off the part down low. I can adjust the height of it by sliding it up/down on the 1/2" bar and lock it down with the t-handle. It works really well. I prefer the type that stays put next to the wheel rather that one mounted to the table that moves with it. Theres no chance of the vac hose slipping off from table movement, this way. I took a nap yesterday and woke up with this idea, and proceeded to make it immediatly.:idea2:
20140131_102022_zpsckodli23.jpg

cc5dcc65-de6f-405a-b377-95267bb688fb_zpsc49ec48a.jpg

Marcel

Hey, your PM box is full and I can't answer your last PM
Charley
I just cleared it out... sorry. Try again. :whistle:

Did you get them delivered yet, looked like a good deal you'll know once you see them?

Todd
I should be getting them on wednesday is what the tracker sais. The guy took his time packing them to avoid breakage, I was happy about that. :bitingnails:

Did you get them delivered yet, looked like a good deal you'll know once you see them?

Todd
I recieved the lot of grinding wheels from Ebay today! I paid $63 shipped. The Guy did a fantastic job packing them so that they wouldn't break in transit

Theres 5 brand new wheels in the bunch. Some of them are used , but barely, some of them have profiles cut into them. Theres 4 cutter grinder wheels, 1 brand new. Theres 4- 5" wheels which will be for my future shop made tool post grinder. Stay tuned for that build.

Between what I already have and this new lot, I should be set on Grinding wheels for a good long time. :))

Todd, Thanks so much for the heads up on the Grinding Wheels.

$_57.JPG

I also bought this SPI Angle/radius dresser from Ebay. It looked to be in really good shape. Paid $136 shipped. I should be getting that in the mail on Tuesday the 11th.
$T2eC16ZHJIMFHJpk83D8BSHCbSbBsQ~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16RHJGMFFpboJOrzBSHCb!VWJg~~60_57.JPG

I need a bigger shop!

Marcel

$_57.JPG $T2eC16ZHJIMFHJpk83D8BSHCbSbBsQ~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16RHJGMFFpboJOrzBSHCb!VWJg~~60_57.JPG

Two nice buys there Marcel!

Although you're never truly done buying things when you have a SG you have acquired a nice selection of items for your machine.
I've decided that my only major equipment buy in the near future will be a SG. I have a 6x18 and an immaculate 8x24 EM chuck so I find myself looking at 6x18's and larger SG's.

Two nice buys there Marcel!

Although you're never truly done buying things when you have a SG you have acquired a nice selection of items for your machine.
I hear you there. :whistle:
I was looking at magnetic sine plates, but they're outragiously priced. I have a scheme in mind to use my 6x18 chuck and make a sine plate bottom for it to mount to the SG. I'd bolt the bottom of the plate to the SG or maybe just use the other magnetic chuck to mount it, then I could tilt the upper chuck to the desired angle. Anyone know of some sine plate plans available online?

Back