Another auction buy..... A Do-all DH-612 surface grinder.

I got the machine home. The move was a rather simple one. I rented a Ryder truck with a lift gate. I brought my buddy ,that's a rigger, just in case. I brought my engine hoist a good solid pallet, a pallet jack and plenty of straps. The guy at the school loaded it onto the pallet with a fork lift. We then strapped it to the pallet. Then he loaded it onto the truck for me with the fork lift.:)) That was easy! The auction site said that we had to rig it and move it ourselves.:whistle: I could have saved $125 on the truck rental, but in hindsite the truck and lift gate made it so easy..... i've had a tougher time moving stoves and air conditioners. I didn't take any pictures of the move because it was 123 and out the door we went.

I gave the machine a good look over at the place. The good news is that it is a hydraulic machine. The bad news is that the hydraulic power pack isn't there, as I suspected. I made a stink about it as it wasn't listed as missing on the site. But in all fairness, I had bought it fully thinking that it was a manual machine. The maintenance guy at the school felt bad about it, I think that's why he helped me load the machine. This thing is in really good shape. It looks as good as the auction pictures, if not better. Never been repainted, it's clean, but needs to be cleaned better. This machine hasn't seen much use at all. All the other hydraulic components are there. They also removed the broken lubricator. So now I'm on the hunt for a hydraulic power pack for this thing and a lubricator.

It also has the accu-rite absolute zero II scales for the x and z axis with all the cables. It sais they're accurate to .0001". I gotta find a DRO display for that too.

If anybody knows where I could start looking for these items, please let me know.

I'll get some better pictures of it once I have it in place but here are the shots I could get right now.

20140106_133935_zpsfwporgdy.jpg

The hydraulic controls

20140106_134017_zpsabqwphb9.jpg

20140106_133928_zpsowrrs4q1.jpg

20140106_134142_zpsrpkqhtqk.jpg

Inside the control box and the DRO wires

20140106_134200_zpsa149wgnl.jpg

20140106_134216_zpsbwqzcrq5.jpg

Some pictures of the tags.

20140106_134241_zps9cgpnakt.jpg

20140106_134316_zpsozm87lu1.jpg

The accuRite scales.
20140106_140828_zpsjggzbmxe.jpg

That's all I got for now.

Marcel

20140106_133935_zpsfwporgdy.jpg

20140106_134017_zpsabqwphb9.jpg

20140106_133928_zpsowrrs4q1.jpg

20140106_134142_zpsrpkqhtqk.jpg

20140106_134200_zpsa149wgnl.jpg

20140106_134216_zpsbwqzcrq5.jpg

20140106_134316_zpsozm87lu1.jpg

20140106_140828_zpsjggzbmxe.jpg

Last edited:
Any body have any idea how much horsepower and psi is required from the hydraulic power unit to run this?

Marcel

Any body have any idea how much horsepower and psi is required from the hydraulic power unit to run this?

Marcel

What are the dimensions on the cylinders, how fast do they need to move, and how much force do they need to exert? Do you have any drawings?

I was just hoping someone had a do-all grinder and could give me the specs off their hydraulic power-pack. At this point I'd take the specs off of any old grinder in that size range. PSI range, flow range and HP. I'm just gonna find a powerpack that fits in the right range. I can adjust the flow with a flow control valve and adjust the pressure with an adjustable relief valve. I just want to make sure that I'll have enough power to accomplish what needs to be done. A minimum is all I'm looking for. I can tone it down with the above controls. I'm looking at used hydraulic power packs online, they can be had pretty reasonably. Some of them already have the pressure relief and flow controls already on them. The Do-All site has no specs on this old grinder stuff. Just instructions and Parts lists. I'm not looking to reverse engineer this whole thing.:))

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I can't help but I did notice a nice LeBlond Drill Press and a milling machine coming up in your area. We get lots of lathes but not too many milling machines or surface grinders that I have seen at our auctions.
Man, If I had the room and the money I could have stole 3 nice 14" lathes for about $1100 /each. Some of them even had newish DROs on them. If I had a little more space, I'd consider buying and selling machine tools. Theres a ton of bargains, if you know where to look. Right now, the money aint flowing, I can't afford to have $10,000 tied up in inventory. There's plenty of milling machines too, but they don't seem to sell at as much of a discount like the lathes do. It's harder to get a great deal on a mill.

Marcel

Last edited:
Holy crap, I just noticed something. I already have the Hydraulic motor HP size. LOOK! It says right there. Hyd. pump motor data! I don't know how I missed that!20140106_134241_zps9cgpnakt.jpg

That clears half the mystery. Now, I just gotta figure out what I need for pressure and flow. I don't want to over-pressurize it and blow all the seals.

Last edited:
Holy crap, I just noticed something. I already have the Hydraulic motor HP size. LOOK! It says right there. Hyd. pump motor data! I don't know how I missed that! That clears half the mystery. Now, I just gotta figure out what I need for pressure and flow. I don't want to over-pressurize it and blow all the seals.

Measure the cylinders and estimate the force they need to exert. From that we can calculate an estimate of the required pressure and, knowing hp, we can estimate the flow.

It would also help to draw up a diagram of the hydraulics.

Measure the cylinders and estimate the force they need to exert. From that we can calculate an estimate of the required pressure and, knowing hp, we can estimate the flow.

It would also help to draw up a diagram of the hydraulics.
All that would be easy, if I could actually get at the cylinder, weigh the table and know the speed at which it needs to move and reverse direction. I don't have any of that info, and right now I'm not willing to take it all apart to find out. I believe that this machine had a Power pack on it right before I bought it and it was running that way. The info I'm asking for is out there, I'm not trying to reverse engineer the thing. It's not necessary to go through all that hassle. Not yet. There are thousands of these things floating around out there.

All that would be easy, if I could actually get at the cylinder, weigh the table and know the speed at which it needs to move and reverse direction. I don't have any of that info, and right now I'm not willing to take it all apart to find out. I believe that this machine had a Power pack on it right before I bought it and it was running that way. The info I'm asking for is out there, I'm not trying to reverse engineer the thing. It's not necessary to go through all that hassle. Not yet. There are thousands of these things floating around out there.

So all the hydraulics do is move the table up and down? Just estimate the table weight and try to get a good enough look at the cylinder to estimate its diameter. Having the hp, we don't need anything else to calculate the pressure.

Back