Another be careful (gross no pics)

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
We had a fatality here recently, a mechanic with a flowing beard was working on a running fork lift with a jack shaft, the windage sucked his beard to the shaft. His head, and neck were wrapped around the shaft, his shoulders didn't fit....

Terrible that happened. If you knew the unlucky fellow, sorry for your loss.

What a horrible way to die, he never had a chance to react. it must be hard to witness something like this and not knowing how to deal with it .

I did not recognize the name, but if I would have seen him before this I would have known who he was. Just something that people should be aware of I guess. You get so used to things every day, and don't think about it until it grabs you.

Forklifts are dangerous. Another fire dept story. Got called to the local manufacturing place for a worker hit by a forklift. Get there and the guy has his legs under the body of the forklift. He is alert and in a lot of pain so he got morphine as we worked to get him out from under the 40,000 pound monster. We ended up using airbags to lift it off of him. Airbags are amazing tools, by the way. When we lifted it enough we slid a backboard under him and then slid him out.

What had happened was he was walking across the drive inside the building, crossed in front of the forklift and realized he had forgotten something and turned to go back. His feet slipped on the floor and went out from under him and into the path of the forklift which wasn't able to stop in time. The load was about 10 inches off the floor and went over his legs which then went under the wheel of the forklift. The load was about 4 tons and add to that the 20 tons of forklift and the fact that the driver hit the brakes hard and the pressures under the front wheels were astronomical.

His ankles were squished to about 3/8" thick. Tissue squeezed through the weave of his socks. Imagine putting a sausage in a sock and using a 20 ton press on it. Amazingly little blood and to everyone's amazement they were actually able to save one of the legs. Was a long recovery and investigation by OSHA which levied hefty fines to the manufacturer.

Another was a forklift in the pit of a loading dock. Driver got off of it to shovel up the crap that always finds a way into the pit and the forklift rolled back and pinned him to the wall with the counterweight. Pelvis and femurs were crushed. Actually broke the ball end of one femur. That one has been so long ago I don't even remember what the final outcome was. The person lived but I don't remember if they ever walked again. Very little blood again but legs bending in a way that was totally unnatural.

There were good times on the fire department though, they just don't stick in the memory like the bad times.

There were good times on the fire department though, they just don't stick in the memory like the bad times.

THAT^^^ is a quote I can use, I have 40 years of memories I don't want in EMS.:)

Yesterday we responded to a travel trailer explosion and fire. Propane leak in the trailer. When he lit a cigarette the place blew. He was burnt over so much of his body he was air lifted to a trauma center. Managed to keep the fire to the one trailer in the camp ground. Poor man was in so much shock he was out looking for his dog that ran off from the explosion. Some things you won't ever forget.

Very true.....

These are all very tragic storys and I don't wish them on anyone. Be safe people, it happens quickly.

Company Me and the Wife worked at moved a walking aisle next to a blind corner where forklifts went around fast. A Woman stepped out and was hit and rolled under the body of the forklift. DOA on the spot. Company removed the body, cleaned up the area, then called the Police 4 days later. No investigation was any good as the evidence and facts were all gone. Husband sued for damages etc. lost in court. Sued again for funeral costs and won and the Company never paid anything. This was only 10-15 years ago, not an old timey story.

Back