Another 'Buyer Beware' or 'Am I just stupid?'

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
I had a need to measure the center-to-center distance between two small holes.

Holes were too small to use the Sorenson Center-Mike so off to the 'Bay for another tool quest.

I could have bought a $12 pair of adapter points to attach to an existing caliper and then do the math to adjust for the difference.
CenterCaliper_0.jpg
But I wanted an actual center-to-center measurement without the math - and correct in both English and Metric measures. Which I thought I would get if I bought a digital caliper that had a stated range that didn't go to Zero - presuming that meant it zeroed at whatever the point offset was.

So I found several advertised with a range like 5-150 or 5-300 and bought one thinking I would have what was advertised: a direct reading center-to-center digital caliper.

CenterCaliper_1.jpg

Wrong again, Stu.

What arrived in the mail was a very nice looking digital caliper with center measuring jaw points spaced at 5mm which, when you pressed the Zero button, set the reading to zero.

CenterCaliper_2.jpg CenterCaliper_3.jpg

Since the descriptioin included " Direct measurement for center distance between holes ( Φ>1 ), by adjusting the height of left measuring bar and moving the caliper frame " I tried twiddling the left measuring bar (no difference), the right measuring bar (no difference) and multiple combinations of holding one setting button while pressing another to see if there was a 'magic' combination to reset the display to 5mm instead of Zero but I couldn't find anything that worked. So now I get to assume that 5mm==0 and do the math. WTF ? Why couldn't the Zero button be programmed in firmware to 5mm and actually take advantage of the technology and do as advertised? Oh yeah, if you work in Imperial measurements it's not an easy 5mm offset, it now becomes 0.196850" of offset. What an improvement!

Yes, I do know that if I had an analog dial caliper with a set of center-measuring adapter points I'd have to do the math - the point was, let the technology do as advertised.

The description also included "
  • Three function button, with depth measuring blade, with USB interface.
There is a USB interface but no depth measuring blade. Oh well.

And of course if I try to contact the seller (in China) about being unhappy about their false advertising and requesting a refund I'll most certainly get the usual runaround: Send us a picture. Send us a video. Send us something else to delay a refund past the refund date - or I'd have to send it back at my expense and then get a partial refund and end up farther in the hole without anything to show for it. Great! When will I learn??? Do not buy from China sellers!

I'm just venting here and thought if anyone else was going to do something as stupid as I did maybe my experience will deter you from it. Here's hoping.

God luck and happy hunting!

Stu

Last edited:
I try to stay away from anything China other than maybe their sweet and sour chicken and egg rolls once in a blue moon . Sometimes I wish I could send THEM back . :big grin:

It’s sad to say I’ve been very frustrated with the same thing. It’s hard to say if it’s just ignorance or incompetence but misleading descriptions are grounds for refund, period. And it’s not just Chinese vendors, there are a ton of shady actors doing the incompetence/ignorance ploy. I just went through another where I let my excitement at what I thought was a good deal override my due diligence but all it cost me was time because eBay knows if somebody sells you something you can show is not in line with the description you get your $$ back.

I wonder if the lack of innovation is because it’s so easy to copy others or there are few who know enough to design something new? It sounds like you have the understanding and the wherewithal to make what amounts to a new and improved digital version of the Center-Mike gr8legs, why not go for it? I think there are a lot of us here who would be interested.

I had a need to measure the center-to-center distance between two small holes.

Holes were too small to use the Sorenson Center-Mike so off to the 'Bay for another tool quest.

I could have bought a $12 pair of adapter points to attach to an existing caliper and then do the math to adjust for the difference.
View attachment 334997
But I wanted an actual center-to-center measurement without the math - and correct in both English and Metric measures. Which I thought I would get if I bought a digital caliper that had a stated range that didn't go to Zero - presuming that meant it zeroed at whatever the point offset was.

So I found several advertised with a range like 5-150 or 5-300 and bought one thinking I would have what was advertised: a direct reading center-to-center digital caliper.

View attachment 334998

Wrong again, Stu.

What arrived in the mail was a very nice looking digital caliper with center measuring jaw points spaced at 5mm which, when you pressed the Zero button, set the reading to zero.

View attachment 334999 View attachment 335001

Since the descriptioin included " Direct measurement for center distance between holes ( Φ>1 ), by adjusting the height of left measuring bar and moving the caliper frame " I tried twiddling the left measuring bar (no difference), the right measuring bar (no difference) and multiple combinations of holding one setting button while pressing another to see if there was a 'magic' combination to reset the display to 5mm instead of Zero but I couldn't find anything that worked. So now I get to assume that 5mm==0 and do the math. WTF ? Why couldn't the Zero button be programmed in firmware to 5mm and actually take advantage of the technology and do as advertised? Oh yeah, if you work in Imperial measurements it's not an easy 5mm offset, it now becomes 0.196850" of offset. What an improvement!

Yes, I do know that if I had an analog dial caliper with a set of center-measuring adapter points I'd have to do the math - the point was, let the technology do as advertised.

The description also included "
  • Three function button, with depth measuring blade, with USB interface.
There is a USB interface but no depth measuring blade. Oh well.

And of course if I try to contact the seller (in China) about being unhappy about their false advertising and requesting a refund I'll most certainly get the usual runaround: Send us a picture. Send us a video. Send us something else to delay a refund past the refund date - or I'd have to send it back at my expense and then get a partial refund and end up farther in the hole without anything to show for it. Great! When will I learn??? Do not buy from China sellers!

I'm just venting here and thought if anyone else was going to do something as stupid as I did maybe my experience will deter you from it. Here's hoping.

God luck and happy hunting!

Stu
If you remove the centering adapter from the movable jaw, you should be able to zero the caliper. Then reinstall the adapter and measure your hole spacing.

When I search Ebay I always set the item location to "US only." That eliminates the hassle of returning something to China. Then I always check the shipping method and time. Sometimes even if the item is claimed to be in America it is actually getting shipped first from China to the seller in America who then ships it. More and more I try not to buy things made in China. That's virtually impossible on my budget.

One good thing from this thread is I learned about adapters to calipers to measure the center distance between holes. I have struggled with that. Another thing to buy. Most likely made in China.

I bought a set from Shars. I have been happy with everything I have bought from Shars. I have an extra caliper that I will permanently mount this on.

Last edited:
Have you tried holding the “zero” button down for a few seconds? That’s how Mitutoyo’s center-to-center caliper changes from normal zero to “offset” zero that compensates for point offset.

Also, does the caliper blade not protrude from the end of the handle when you open the jaws like most calipers do to allow you to measure the depth of a hole?

Tom

If you remove the centering adapter from the movable jaw, you should be able to zero the caliper. Then reinstall the adapter and measure your hole spacing.

An excellent idea except when I first received the caliper the setscrew holding the centering adapter to it was so tight I thought it might be Locktite'd in place. After taking a pair of pliers to it and breaking it loose the movable jaw had only another 1.75mm of zero-ward travel before it hit the stop - so no joy on that fix.

It's just a crappy design that should have been fixable in firmware to actually show 5mm when you press the 'zero' but just doesn't. I'd get the same result with the $12 center measuring adapters clamped on and the caliper would be useful for other things as well. Grrr.

Thanks

Stu

Have you tried holding the “zero” button down for a few seconds? That’s how Mitutoyo’s center-to-center caliper changes from normal zero to “offset” zero that compensates for point offset.

Also, does the caliper blade not protrude from the end of the handle when you open the jaws like most calipers do to allow you to measure the depth of a hole?

Yes, tried holding the 'zero' and no change.

No, there is no depth measurement available, there is no extension of the movable blade at all as in a normal 4-way caliper.

Like I said, it's just a crappy design that does not do what is advertised.

Thanks for the pointer to Mitutoyo doing what I expect. I may have to pungle up the $$$ for a quality tool from a US seller to get what I want.

Stu

Back