Another carriage stop design

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
Just my take on a carriage stop for flat ways, I found with my previous attempt at making one, that a slight knock was all it took to dislodge it slightly.

I think this was due to the stick out needed to mount the DTI and stop in the same piece, unlike the Atlas design which is very close to the front of the ways, and has double bolts for extra grip.

Having nothing positive to clamp on as per a V way bed, I made mine to reach across and positively locate across the ways. The only downside is that it it doesn't pass by the side of the headstock, this hasn't been a problem for me so far.

The clamping piece is held snug against the body by the screw shank, it's depth enables it to be opened wide enough to allow fiddle free placing onto the ways.

DSCF7897.JPG

The eagle eyed picture clickers amongst you will have noticed the glued on shim, this of course is a sacrificial way wear strip.....that's my story and anyway I'm sticking to it...grin.gif

DSCF7899.JPG

I milled this on my lathe using TCT wood router bits, held in the three jaw, just working with what I've got..

DSCF7900.JPG

The positive stop screw and nut are work in progress as knurling is not yet one of my skills..

DSCF7901.JPG

Thanks to all who have posted your designs on here previous, you will probably spot ideas from various others in mine..

Bernard

DSCF7897.JPG DSCF7899.JPG DSCF7900.JPG DSCF7901.JPG grin.gif

Last edited:
Bernard,

Very nice design and documentation. And I love the replaceable wear strip in the design! :whistle:

Steve

Thanks chaps, looking at those pics, it seemed to me that the Chinese looks of it would be offensive to the arty designers of the curvaceous Atlas products of old, so I just nipped out and put that right, I had the cutter so it would have been rude not to..

DSCF7905.JPG

Added period runs in the paint too...smiley_smug.gif

Bernard

DSCF7905.JPG smiley_smug.gif

Last edited:
Newbie here. I really like your design especially the angled indicator. I would like to build one however it would take two or threes before I got it right, could you possible post a drawing, for those of with little to no skills is plagiarizing from photos.
Thanks
Mr. chips

Last edited:
Newbie here. I really like your design especially the angled indicator. I would like to build one however it would take two or threes before I got it right, could you possible post a drawing, for those of with little to no skills is plagiarizing from photos.
Thanks
Mr. chips

Thanks for the compliment Mr chips, glad you like it, like you I am a novice at this stuff, I do not do drawings as I find it easier to just start with the metal and sneak up on the shape, sometimes I sneak right past....hence the shim!

Because of this I am not good at making a matched pair or a run of similar parts yet..

However as you have asked, I will have a go at reverse engineering a drawing using SketchUp, this may take some time....:scared:

Bernard

For those who like me are new to all this I just thought I'd share the method I use for preparing an oblong or cylindrical lump of battered scrap alloy for this type of job, as long as your chuck is good, this will be accurate enough for the non hyper critical dimensions.

1, Mount it roughly central in your four jaw, long side across the face of the chuck, tap it tight against the chuck and turn off the other side, mark this new face with a felt tip pen.

2, Put the marked face against the chuck face, tap it home and turn off another new face.

3, Next put it in the chuck gripped by tightening two jaws on the new faces, tighten these two jaws and tap home before tightening the other jaws, pieces of paper will prevent the jaws marking the ally, turn off another face.

4, Repeat 3 not forgetting the tapping tight bit.

5, Now put the piece lengthways in the chuck and turn off both ends square, there is no need to centralise the piece in the chuck at any stage of the process, unless you feel like the practice..

You will now have a nice clean piece to work with, use the marked face to set out from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back