Another carriage stop design

Thanks thomas,

I forgot to mention it, but I had problems cutting the thread for the positive stop, as all the taps I have are too short to reach right through, hence the counter bore and 'nose' on the nut..

Bernard

Re: Another carriage stop design Grizzly G4003G

Here is my shop made carriage stop for my Grizzly G4003G.

Is that Starrett mic shaft left or right handed or reverse or normal? I have one I wanted to use on my lathe stop but it would read backwards.

Nice job on both of you guys stops.

Is that Starrett mic shaft left or right handed or reverse or normal? I have one I wanted to use on my lathe stop but it would read backwards.

Nice job on both of you guys stops.

Yes it's just a standard micrometer body, but it's pretty easy to substract the cut depth, the way it is all built it can be placed on the left or rh side, by turning the mic and indicator around to the other side! Hope this helps! Bob in Oregon

I'd be concerned about using a depth mic in this application. They aren't meant to take any kind of heavy load against the shaft, just touch off the measuring surface lightly to check it. The gearing advantage of the handwheel driving the carriage along the rack would reduce your feel for how much pressure you would be putting against the depth mic. That's not something I'd be comfortable doing with how fragile the fine threads are in the mic body.

If you insisted on using a depth mic, then I'd at least make a sliding sleeve that would wrap the body of the mic and allow it to slip in the stop if the carriage hit it with too much force. Still sounds like a less than desirable setup though. On the combo stop pictured above (which looks like a nice very piece BTW) I would use a solid rod with a quick adjust locking screw instead.

All I can say on this issue, is with the dial indicator, when using the micrometer stop, you watch the dial indicator, and as it is aproaching the zero point, you disconnect the feed a little before the zero point, and hand feed it againist the micrometer stop. I have had zero problems with the stop, and my hourmeter reads 264 hours, I made it probably 10 hours after I recieved the lathe, so if I figure using it even 1/3 of the time I have used it 70+ hours with NO problem. I also need to second the post earlier on how amazing this lathe is! I would be to shy to show you the pictures, I have over the last 1 1/2 year, on the large turning I have done on this machine! A whole bunch of turning for work on 8" bushing's used for the heavy eq. company I work for!

Bob in Oregon

Here is my shop made carriage stop for my Grizzly G4003G.
That's good lookin' stop. I have a G4003G also and was hesitant to make a carriage stop for fear of the carriage bashing into it. I made a stop on my Logan but the apron had a clutch that just slipped when it reached the stop. Does my G4003G have a clutch? I didn't see anything that looks like it could slip in the owners manual. Do you just hand feed when near the stop?
Ed P

That's good lookin' stop. I have a G4003G also and was hesitant to make a carriage stop for fear of the carriage bashing into it. I made a stop on my Logan but the apron had a clutch that just slipped when it reached the stop. Does my G4003G have a clutch? I didn't see anything that looks like it could slip in the owners manual. Do you just hand feed when near the stop?
Ed P

Yes that is why the indacaor is used Disingage then feed by hand to stop.

Ed P

On my G00750g I just kick the power feed out by eye and hand feed it in. One of the first things I made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back