Another Cincinnati Toolmaster finds the forum

Thanks for the offer, Daryl. I seem to be in pretty good shape. Once I got past the 2ph discovery, the only thing that doesn't work right is the balance spring for the quill. Other than that, things have gone surprisingly well.

Did you ever get your A adapter made? I have one here that I can measure.
Spring quills are usually quite fixable, and often without needing new parts if you are resourceful. The springs can also be quite dangerous. There is help around on the web (look here on H-M first) on how to approach the job. If it is like most quill springs, it is not a good idea to just push the spring out out of the container that is restraining it. :eek:

Thanks! I found an A adapter at the right price!!
I may have some duplicate A collets.

Did you find a copy of the Cincy Parts and Service Manual?
I think you will find clues to the spring problem on pages 14-16.

Daryl
MN

According to the Cincinnati manual: "Grab spring tang with pliers. Pull the tang from the housing notch, at the same time quickly step back."

I noted to the wife when I first read it that that line could not be published today.

My Millrite quill springs (on two different machines) had damage to the end of the spring in the center of the coil. There is a notch shaped hole there for the screw head on the handle shaft to engage the spring, and the hole was slightly damaged and would not stay engaged in the spring. I was able to bend the inner end of the spring enough to fix it using strong duck bill pliers, without removing the spring from the cage. I did the same repair to both machines, and they are both still working.

I just checked. The manual Josh has up is M-1941, an operation manual from 1956. The pdf I have been using, from vintagemachinery.org, is M-2318, Parts and service manual from 1963. The one that came with my machine is a Milacron parts and service manual, M-2109 published 1980. When I get some free time, I'll see if there is any significant differences beyond the blue cover.

Edit. Correction. M-2109 was republished in 1980, original publish date of 1960.

Last edited:
Back