[4]

Another Cincy Toolmaster

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hi all, another "new" Toolmaster joins the group. I recently picked up a Cincinnati Milacron 1D. It seems to be an early 1970's machine (still has the rounded head, no provision for a tool head at the back end of the ram and Milacron badging on the nameplate). I understand Milacron started in the early 1970's. To date I have not powered it - still checking and cleaning (oh, and the usual - so many projects to work on before getting to this one). I have not found any major issues, other than any loose components were gone (spindle wrench, knee elevation handle, vise handle) - thankful to get it with a 6" Kurt and an MT4 adapter in the spindle. Several of the small knobs / handles are broken or bent - it is certainly a project machine, but one I believe will finish out well.

DSC06914.JPG DSCF3937.JPG DSCF3942.JPG DSCF3943.JPG DSCF3945.JPG

I have a small Maho milling machine, so I don't see a big problem making the spindle and knee crank tools. It may be easier to purchase the knee crank, but all the ones I have seen on ebay appear to be smaller (perhaps other 1D owners could comment on sources?). I am looking forward to the larger work envelop, X & Y & quill power feeds and higher spindle speeds. Not looking forward to tooling yet another machine - I'll probably go slow on that since the Maho serves most of the time.

DSC06914.JPG DSCF3937.JPG DSCF3942.JPG DSCF3943.JPG DSCF3945.JPG

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Congratulations. Nice find! Looking forward to seeing it make chips. Please keep us updated.

GK1918

Active User
Nice you will like it. If you need dimensions for a knee crank let me know, I'll measure up mine...

sam

old_dave

Active User
Hi all, another "new" Toolmaster joins the group. I recently picked up a Cincinnati Milacron 1D. It seems to be an early 1970's machine (still has the rounded head, no provision for a tool head at the back end of the ram and Milacron badging on the nameplate). I understand Milacron started in the early 1970's. To date I have not powered it - still checking and cleaning (oh, and the usual - so many projects to work on before getting to this one). I have not found any major issues, other than any loose components were gone (spindle wrench, knee elevation handle, vise handle) - thankful to get it with a 6" Kurt and an MT4 adapter in the spindle. Several of the small knobs / handles are broken or bent - it is certainly a project machine, but one I believe will finish out well.

View attachment 84492 View attachment 84493 View attachment 84494 View attachment 84495 View attachment 84496

I have a small Maho milling machine, so I don't see a big problem making the spindle and knee crank tools. It may be easier to purchase the knee crank, but all the ones I have seen on ebay appear to be smaller (perhaps other 1D owners could comment on sources?). I am looking forward to the larger work envelop, X & Y & quill power feeds and higher spindle speeds. Not looking forward to tooling yet another machine - I'll probably go slow on that since the Maho serves most of the time.
Just looked in my copy of the company's history published in 1984 on the occasion of their centennial. Cincinnati Milling Machine Company was renamed Cincinnati Milacron in 1970. The Board of Directors selected the new name in January 1970 and the shareholders approved the name in May 1970.

Nice looking Toolmaster by the way.

David

kd1yt

Active User
Congratulations, what a beast!

I just brought home a 1B that was in a basement; had to disassemble and sled it out in sub-assemblies....

drs23

Active User
Looks really good. That Sir, appears to be one metal hogging machine!

Uglydog

Active User
Always room for another Cincy!
Mine is a 1956 1B.
If there is anything you need that her grandfather might be able to provide let me know.
However, I'm concerned that there may have been changes....

Regardless, You are gonna like her.
Start collecting collets now.
Concentrate on the ones you will likely need/use most frequently.
She will treat you well!

Daryl
MN

Chipper5783

Active User
Hi Daryl, Thank you for the encouragement. This machine has a #40 taper, so tooling should be pretty available. I'll get some sort of a collet system after she is cleaned up and powered.

So far no major issues, just dirty and various small knobs bent or broken (2 of the 4 gear selector knobs for the table feeds snapped off and gone - hey, I'm thankful to have the table feeds - conclusion is that life is still good). Machine came without the z-axis crank. The replacement crank handles that are common on e-bay all seem too small. The shaft on mine is 3/4". Are you aware of a source for a replacement table elevating crank, or is that simply another opportunity to make some chips?

Regards, David

Chipper5783

Active User
Here are pictures of the Y-axis kit.
DSCF4138.JPG DSCF4139.JPG DSCF4140.JPG DSCF4141.JPG

DSCF4138.JPG DSCF4139.JPG DSCF4140.JPG DSCF4141.JPG

Uglydog

Active User
Chipper,
I regularly watch for Cincy Toolmaster parts (especially power feeds!).
A knee crank came up on Ebay several months ago. But its the only one I recall.
I could draw a print of mine. But unless you've got a mill and a dividing head it wont be of much value.
On the other hand I suppose a hack saw and some needle files would work.
In seriousness if I need a Cincy knee crank, I'd look at one of the "Crank Yankers".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261613314433?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Consider contacting the seller first and confirm the Yanker will fit your 1D.
If you don't like the drill idea (I don't) then consider welding it to a shop made aluminum handle.

Daryl
MN

Chipper5783

Active User
Hi Daryl, thank you for the info on the knee crank. The crank yanker at $34 is likely the way to go (however I've never let the straight forward approach get in my way). I do have a small Maho milling machine with dividing head (the Maho is great, but the movements are small - hence the Cincy). I've got a crank handle from a broken Victoria mill (that's a story for another day), with enough meat on it to cut in the face spline.

Making up a sketch? Is it just a mirror image of what is on the mill (with a little clearance)? If it is, then I should be okay.

Uglydog

Active User
I don't know Maho. Is that a fish?
Regardless, sounds like you have a plan!
Please keep us posted.

Daryl
MN

jeffrininger

Swarf
Registered Member
Thanks David! Wow, my "manual feed" 1D is a lot different!
L1020419.JPG

Not the greatest picture, but hopefully you can make out the t-nut channel which I assume is designed to hold the Y axis adjustable stops. However, I couldn't find a hole that would accept a pin (like on the X-axis) to engage the stops. Your machine has such a pin, but I saw no provision for it on mine. The aluminum block (upper right of the picture) looks to have been added by a previous owner for some unknown function. I think it's too far from the t-nut channel to mount something to engage the X-axis stops...

Would someone who has a manual feed 1D post a shot of this area on their machine? I'd really like to know what is supposed to be there!

Thanks again David!

Jeff Rininger

L1020419.JPG

Chipper5783

Active User
Hi Daryl, I tried to reply to your "fish" comment. Did it get through? Regards, David

GK1918

Active User
This is going to be hard to explain but what I dug up for the tee slot is a flat sided button head square shank bolt the stop goes into. Put in the tee rotated 180 and the square shank
keeps it vertical. And I can not find this in the book. I have seen this on machines. Elementary machining to make your own. Nother words think of a flat sided carriage bolt.
just my guess

Uglydog

Active User
Hmmm.
Perhaps I need more coffee.
Can you make an post a print or pic?

Daryl
MN

Uglydog

Active User
Chipper,
I should have replied. I think I replied in my head. But the only ones that heard that are the other people living there.
I didn't intend to slight your Maho.
I followed the links you sent and did some other snooping.
That is a neat machined with the potential of incredible precision.
If I found one locally at a price I'd have to go look at her.

My wife and I have vague plans to visit a HM member located on the eastern end of Canada.
I'd like to see your machine make chips. If we get up your way (Red Deer) would you consider a shop tour?

Daryl
MN

[6]
[5] [7]