Another clausing Dp

Do you have a gear puller that will fit over it?(or make one) Put some load on it with the puller and tap the sides of the pulley without denting the aluminum. If the motor is shot, cut off the shaft and tap out the remainder from the pulley. Does anyone know if that motor is original? The motor on mine is labeled Clausing.
Robert

I don’t like using a puller on pulleys (sheaves), I always try to use a bearing splinter behind the pulley, to put even tension on the pulley rim.

I don’t like using a puller on pulleys (sheaves), I always try to use a bearing splinter behind the pulley, to put even tension on the pulley rim.

But doesn't that put axial load on the motor bearings? In this case they may be shot anyway so your idea is a good one.
R

But doesn't that put axial load on the motor bearings? In this case they may be shot anyway so your idea is a good one.
R
No, I probably didn’t explain it properly, I put a bearing splitter behind the pulley, then use a puller the pushes on the mtor shaft, while puller jaws, grab the bearing splitter. I just don’t use the puller directly on the pulley.

That makes sense.
How about this idea: lay two steel bars under the pulley with a gap to fit the shaft. Support the bars on blocks and then drive the shaft out with a punch or press. You could notch the bars for a better fit.
Robert

All cleaned up painted , all new bearings in the head, arc of shame JB weld filled filed smooth, new power cord,
.0008 tir on spindle taper, squirted some spindle oil in motor oil ports sounds good now.
I bolted it down to the rolling cart w/locking wheels. Still waiting on new locking collar 1/2” chuck to arrive and need a new 47” belt
5C6E730C-492E-4B4F-81FB-17780CB569C4.jpeg
7CD54ED3-930E-4B7A-976F-214420C73602.jpeg
AAE92C4D-DF8C-4D44-B79E-040A9EE6C63F.jpeg

Should be a good one

Well done Dlane. Looks like you gave it a very practical and prominent spot in the shop.

FYI

Attachments

• Clausing Drill Cat..pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 327
  • Clausing Drill Manual.pdf
    832.3 KB · Views: 215
Do you know the number of the spindle bearings in this?

Robert

I replaced mine with Timken p202kdd52 per the invoice, I had my bearings with me at the bearing shop.
The dp is on a rolling cart I mounted the 3ton arbor press and the Reed vise behind the dp so I can get them out of the way.

Back