Another Delta DP-600 Restoration

M.T. Pockets

Registered
Registered
I know old DP-600 drill presses are a popular machine to restore so I'd thought I'd share my restoration of one I received from a family member. It originally arrived in my basement looking like this:
DSC02011.JPG

It was in pretty bad shape when I got it. It had accumulated 7 layers of paint (paint was EVERYWHERE), all but one bearing was shot, and the JT33 taper on the spindle was completely knackered. The 1/2HP induction motor was controlled with a light switch and the table had a bunch of holes drilled in it.

Here's a list of all the stuff I did to get it from a pile of parts to working machine:
1. Stripped all 7 layers of paint off of everything (it was even on most fasteners and hardware) and repainted the machine with Rustoleum gray machine paint and primer. This also involved removing bondo, glue, and who knows what else that was on the machine
2. TIG brazed and filled in all the holes in the table and grinded it back to flat
3. Replaced the JT33 taper spindle with a new JT6 spindle from Hammerscale Technologies
4. Replaced the other two bearings with new sealed ABEC-3 bearings
5. Replaced the original 1/2HP motor with a 750W 86M Servo motor from DMM Technologies including building a custom motor mount in the back
6. Laser cut a customer enclosure from SendCutSend that contains the DYN4 driver and switches for on/off, go/stop, fwd/rev, and a potentiometer for speed control
7. Added a foot pedal for instant forward/reverse (this machine will be used frequently for tapping)
8. Replaced the belt
9. Made a mobile base out of some scrap steel tubing and casters I had laying around
10. Replaced a lot of clapped-out hardware
11. Added a tachometer
12. Replaced the original chuck with a nice Rohm 1/2" keyless chuck.

And I think thats about it. The drill press turned out pretty good. Spins great, not too much vibration, and the servo motor is capable of driving a 1/2-13 tap at 10rpm.

IMG_20220717_145704_01.jpgPXL_20220717_185352444.jpgPXL_20220717_185422001.jpg

Going off of the S/N, the drill press was originally made in the 1940's. Hopefully it holds up for another 80 years.

Nice work! I've got it's brother, even has the same table. I really should re-fresh mine one of these days.

Replaced the original 1/2HP motor with a 750W 86M Servo motor from DMM Technologies including building a custom motor mount in the back
Like the use of the servo motor. :eagerness:
Besides speed & direction control the servo should give you nice torque.

I went with a hybrid VFD for my DP-600.
IMG_8437.JPGIMG_8416.JPG

Doug

Very cool project. I’ve seen a few of the drill press upgrades for variable speed and tapping and am really interested in doing one myself. I have no idea where I would start right now, so need to do plenty of reading and learning! I’ll do one one day though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back