Another Dumb Cutting Oil Question

Oh, there ARE dumb questions. Here is a sampling:

Why can't I see my reflection in the mirror on TV?
Is it illegal to name a dog after a movie?
Is there any possible way of making 2+2=5?
Is it possible to feel like a sandwich?
How do you spell government?

Anyway, thank you all for the valuable input. I think I'll rig something up to the relay and test it. All need is a pump to start experimenting. I'm just trying to stop buying things I'll never use.

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim: I don't know the answers to any of those questions.

But before you spend any money get your self a liquid soap dispenser. You know the ones like Ajax you squeeze them and the soap shoots out. pit some coolant in it and try it. See if it makes a difference. I personally(I actually did) would just start with plain motor oil . It may surprise you. I mean plain no detergent or synthetic. If you decide you want to go for a coolant pump. I have 2 for sale with tanks.
Good Luck Jimmy D

Re: Another Cutting Oil Question

2+2= 5 for sufficiently large values of 2...

I am wondering of the requirement for cutting oil for mini machines, as it applies to CNC use. I'm not sure, due to the non-stop nature of the CNC process, that it's an absolute requirement or if I can get away with no cutting oil, and under what circumstances.

Jim

Whether or not you need cutting oil depends entirely on what you are cutting and with what kind of tool.

If you're cutting 6061 aluminum dry, you had better be ready to have your cutter clogged with chips because they will stick to it. You can run 7075 dry for milling, but you need lubrication for drilling, reaming and tapping.

Some stainless steels actually work better dry for ruffing. It just depends on what kind of cutter you are using. If you run it dry, with the right feed and speed, the chips come off a nice amber color and the chips actually carry the head away.

It seems someone renamed my thread. I am against all forms of censorship. I am an American. What country is this forum based?

Dont know who changed it but I will endeavour to find out who did it and why. What was the original header and the original spelling? Since it got changed I have no way of determining what it was before. If you will PM me I will look into this and we can discuss who and why it happened. That's the best I can do for you right now, just give me a chance to see what happened first.
Bob

Back