another flooring project

Kenny G

Registered
Registered
So I'm in the process of finishing my new shop. I wanted to make it as fire proof as possible so I used cement board over wood for the floor. I live in a high snow area so need to seal this some way I have considered two different methods 1. self leveling cement 2. Rustoleoum type resin coatings. I like the idea of the SLC but it too would have to be sealed and it is really not sold as a wear surface material but an underlay-ment. things roll around pretty easily as is but needs a little more leveling. Any of you have any other options or suggestions as to different products?
IMG_7893.JPG

I think you need solid flooring. Any thin coating of concrete will bust apart from the weight of the machinery and fluctuations in temperature will pop it . I'd use either heavy duty tongue and groove plywood. Or sheets of steel diamond plate.

I think you may be right about cracking and that is a concern as I said I do have a plywood sub floor overlaid with cement board, I will not have very heavy machinery so that probably won't be an issue(I hope) diamond plate is beyond my budget unfortunately. So what I'm really asking is for a good sealer that anyone may recommend.

If you want a great floor, try porcelain tile on top of 2" to 3" of dry pack concrete... Assuming that you insulated under the floor boards, you could even include some in-floor heating.

The concrete floor in my garage had a 2-3" dip in it making it really awkward to move and level machines so I had it leveled with dry pack (about 1" at the thinnest point) and tiled it with porcelain tiles. I had someone do the dry pack and tiled myself. The dry pack, while labor intensive isn't all that hard to do. I didn't do in-floor heating because there is probably no insulation under the old slab.

Garage Journal has a couple of good threads on tiling a garage floor. If you search YouTube for "dry pack" you can get a good idea of how the process goes.

bob

Thanks to you who have replied, I may have not given enough info about the project first this is a shed 12 X 24 on 6"x6" skids resting on cement blocks. Living here in NW Montana we get a lot of break up in the spring, heaving followed by settling. The sit prep was with a considerable amount of fill it was compacted as well as I could with budget restrictions, so I need a pretty flexible floor matterial and will probably be re-leveling ever spring for a few years at least. So what I feel I need is a recommendation for a seraler that will work on the cement board.
FullSizeRender.jpg

We are in central ca so no clue to how your water acts.

Nice looking building!

We would have installed water block first then used 1 1/8 plytanium subfloor as it is 48 inch span rated and would make a fiery solid floor then just sand it to level the joints then varithane it as we did our second level.

The cement board is what exactly?

Is it the stuff one places on wall before adding tile or is it actual cement in a plywood like form?

Epoxy coatings are popular and costco and sams both use something like it on their floors.

There are companies that apply it for commercial buildings so it is common stuff.

You may also check with your building department to see what they suggest as they may know best stuff for your area as well as sourcing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back