Another G0704 Cnc Conversion

MontanaAardvark

Registered
Registered
I've been a member here for just about a year, now, but I see I haven't posted much. I remember joining before going to Cabin Fever last year, but my profile says it was January of last year.

It's a bit of a story, but I got a G0704 and LMS3540 lathe to go with my A2Z CNC/Sherline mill and Sherline lathe. My plan was to have a dream shop when I retired in a couple of years. I wasn't sure I wanted to go CNC on the G0704 and debated DROs vs. CNC for a while. I made a couple of little projects running the mill manually while I thought about it. I looked at the low cost DROs that look like large digital calipers and the ones folks like DRO Pros sell. I thought I could go CNC for not much more than a DRO Pro system, so I grabbed Hoss' DVD and got started.

Along the way, a totally unexpected thing happened. The place I worked for offered an incentive package to retire early, and I retired in December. Since then I' ve been working on a major project around the house, and using my Sherline CNC to cut all the parts to CNC my Griz. Before I retired, I got the 12 threaded standoffs done. I took a long time to do them, since I don't have much experience. After I retired, I used the mill to cut the motor mounts to size, and the Sherline system to drill holes, counterbore and cut out the center holes.

AllParts.JPG
Before retirement was even an option, I bought the motors, the electronics and everything (I think!) I need to do the conversion. I just finished the house project and now I plan to spend the next few months making the CNC system. My plans are to turn it into a system with a cabinet that can run a mister or even flood cooler. I'm hoping to have it finished by next winter. I'm in Florida; summer is a good time to stay indoors making things on your machines. The rest of y'all can work outdoors in the summer.

I figured I'd post here, in the hopes it will be good for someone. As I go along, I'll post more.

Bob

Very nice. Look forward to your progress on this. :)

Back