Another Hardinge Hvl Question: Apron Lubrication, Where Is The Drain Plug?

Lowell K

Registered
Registered
I want to change the oil in the apron. So I get out the manual and turn to the Section Apron and Clutches Lubrication.

The manual that I have, which is for the HVLH, reads as follows:
" Keep oil in apron sight window "D", Figure 15. Add oil be removing cap "E". Use automatic transmission fluid Mobilefluid 350 or equivalent. CHANGE OIL EVERY 60 DAYS. To drain oil remove magnetic drain plug at underside of apron."

My machine is similar to but not the same as a HVLH.

Cap "E" is approximately where it is shown in the Figure 15, on the left hand side of the apron but a bit lower, as a matter of fact right about where sight window "D" is shown. The sight window is on the front of the apron between and below the two feed levers.

So far so good. I go looking for the drain plug... it's location is not illustrated in the manual just the description "underside of carriage apron". It's not there that I can see. Can some kind soul help? Where is the drain plug?

Lowell

Yours my have oil in the apron, but my HLV is open at the bottom, just give the gears a shot of oil from time to time.

Greg

There would not be a sight glass unless the apron was intended to hold oil. It must be there somewhere, but I have never messed with one of those lathes. It might be one of the lower bolts or something like that...

Lowell
Directly underneath the carriage motor housing. about 1" back from the apron face. use a mirror and light you will see a 3/16th hex plug.
co1859

Last edited:
Here is a picture for reference. HLV-H Carriage oil drain plug location. 3/16 hex
Drain Plug 002.JPG

Back