Another Hendey Refurbish

From what I see in the pics, the ways look to be in really good condition. July! This is going to be like waiting for the next episode of Buck Rogers when I was a kid. Have a great vacation. Cheers, Mike

We arrived back at home today... we drove out to Utah and Colorado... while we were there we spent time in 7 National parks including Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Black Canyon, and Rocky Mountain. We also checked out Pipe Springs National Monument, drove through parts of Grand Staircase- Escalante National Monument, Cedar Breaks National Monument and drove across Grand Mesa in western Colorado.

I'm home now, I'll have to catch up on my yardwork, then hopefully I'll be able to get back to work on the Hendey next week.

-Bear

Road trip without any shopping/buying!?!? My friend, you show great restraint ;) . Looking forward to seeing more of your restoration magic.

Bruce

Road trip without any shopping/buying!?!? My friend, you show great restraint ;) . Looking forward to seeing more of your restoration magic.

Bruce

Oh, I was on c-list looking in every area we traveled through... I just didn't find anything that I had the ability to haul home... :laughing:

-Bear

I managed to find time today to make some progress on the Hendey. I removed the bed from the chip pan and legs...

20210629_153207.jpg

20210629_153224.jpg

When I bought the lathe, I also acquired a set of dollies that the seller had fabricated to move the Hendey around in his shop...

20210629_154140.jpg

They are designed where the lathe can be jacked up and the dollies rolled under the feet. He also designed them so that a length of 4x4 can be placed under the dolly frame while moving... so if a caster collapses, it will only fall less than a half inch before the 4x4 catches it... I thought that was a good idea.

These dollies are really going to be handy while working on the lathe. Moving, maneuvering, and turning over the bed on my last Hendey project was a challenge... this one is 2 feet longer and significantly heavier. I'll have to get creative, especially while trying to clean the lathe bed... I won't be able to 'roll' it on the saw horses by hand like I did the shorter one.

-Bear

This project is not moving anywhere near as quickly as the first one did... the first one was a 'pandemic project'... I did most of the work during late fall and winter, when there wasn't a lot of distractions (like lawn care), and I was only working 30 hours per week.

I am currently working 70 hours a week and having to do lawn work, vacations, hunnydoos, (my wife is a teacher, so she is home to keep me occupied during the summer), etc...

However, I am making progress... I have managed to get the legs and chip pan cleaned, prepped, and painted. As I was painting, I realized the inside of one of the legs still had some crud built up, so I just removed the leg and continued painting.

20210705_155935.jpg

I'll try again to get the other leg clean tomorrow and get it painted... I will also have to spend a couple of days cleaning out a place to put the lathe in my basement. I plan to do this one like I did the other... move it inside in pieces and assemble it in place.

-Bear

One job turns into two jobs...

Two jobs turn into three jobs...

Three jobs turn into ten...

I have the legs and chip pan painted, the pan will need a second coat, but it's painted, anyway...

20210709_080715.jpg

...so I decided it was time to start thinking about where I am going to put this lathe. The room in my basement where my other machines live is pretty much full, so I began cleaning out an area back in the corner... some of you may have noticed in past pictures that I have an old rustbucket '64 Fairlane 4 door parts donor in my basement... that is where the lathe is going.

I'm planning to spend a few days stripping the remaining useable parts out of the car, then dispose of the rest.

But... I have to get the car out first, so I have to clean everything out between the car and the door... I have way too much junk...

Anyhow, in the process of clearing a path to the door, I picked up a box of 'stuff' and discovered the box had water standing in it.

I have a leak in my shower plumbing... I think it is the drain leaking, but it could be one of the supply pipes. I'll find out today...

So, now the cleaning, the car, and the lathe is on hold while I do some plumbing repair...

It's always something, isn't it?

-Bear

At tuckahoe today a 14x6 hendy for 600 two steadies and a taper attachment!

Attachments

• 8D7B0C5E-ED76-4458-AE62-60CCA7DD4DD9.jpeg
    8D7B0C5E-ED76-4458-AE62-60CCA7DD4DD9.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
  • AAFA8D54-BACC-4BA4-AB9C-BBDA69A701EA.jpeg
    AAFA8D54-BACC-4BA4-AB9C-BBDA69A701EA.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 18461336-E7D9-4055-9A92-CE4D83BCAEB7.jpeg
    18461336-E7D9-4055-9A92-CE4D83BCAEB7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 518CBB5A-45EC-4B6F-A584-BE49444FD63D.jpeg
    518CBB5A-45EC-4B6F-A584-BE49444FD63D.jpeg