Another Hendey Refurbish

Well, I've finished painting the bed and mounted it on the pan. I'm beginning to really like this color...

20210727_105937.jpg

The carriage and apron will be next, then the gearbox, leadscrew, and feed control shafts.

-Bear

I like it. Not bright blue, which would have been annoying.

This afternoon, I started working on the carriage... I disassembled and removed the taper attachment, then disassembled the carriage...

20210728_142918.jpg

20210728_142921.jpg

Everything looks to be in very good condition, just nasty... there is no visible wear or damage, even the acme screw and cross slide nut is in very good condition.

I have the main carriage casting soaking in the degreasing tank... tomorrow morning (if I have time) I will take it out and put all the smaller parts and the taper attachment in to soak.

-Bear

I've been working on cleaning and painting the carriage... I finally got it sitting back on the lathe...

20210806_151303.jpg

I have the smaller parts and the taper attachment soaking in the cleaning tank now... I hope I can remember how to reassemble the taper attachment. I know where all the parts go, but it has to be assembled in a specific order to be able to get to all the hardware... I'll figure it out...

While all of that is soaking, I took some time to tinker with the drill press some more. I mounted a reversing drum switch on the side...

20210806_151519.jpg

... and began trying to decide the best way to route the wiring from the motor (on the bottom right side) to the switch (on the top left side) and keep it away from the pulleys and belts.

The best idea I could come up with was to route the wiring up the rear support bar...

20210806_152621.jpg

I spent the afternoon making a set of brackets out of Delrin to attach the wire to the support bar...

20210806_151356.jpg

They are designed to clamp a section of conduit to the support... the wire will be inside the conduit... we'll see if it actually works like I've planned...

-Bear

Your lathe carriage looks superb! Looks like the previous owner never ran anything into it. Not a single ding or crunch to be seen.

I know where all the parts go, but it has to be assembled in a specific order to be able to get to all the hardware... I'll figure it out...

Of this, I have NO doubt!

Thanks for bringing us along.

-brino

Your lathe carriage looks superb! Looks like the previous owner never ran anything into it. Not a single ding or crunch to be seen.

There were practically no marks on the carriage... but IIRC, there is a damaged corner on the compound... this lathe is actually in surprisingly good condition.

-Bear

Pictures are important...

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon cleaning the cross slide and taper attachment parts and pieces, and layed them all out to dry. I began going over all of the parts making mental notes as to where they all fit and what order they all have to be reassembled in.

That is when I realized that I have a problem...

I discovered that there was only one knob to tighten the taper attachment angle.

I spent almost an hour looking for the other one. I looked in the cleaning tank, searched my workbench, looked under the workbenches, even walked out and looked in the yard... in the rain... in case I had accidentally dropped it on the way to the shop when I put all the parts in the cleaning tank... nope, didn't find it anywhere...

I finally pulled out my phone and looked at my pictures to see if there actually WAS a second knob... I was absolutely positive there was...

But...

20210518_110145.jpg

... there isn't... there is only one knob, the other end just has a locking bolt...

Geez... is that what you would call a 'senior moment'?

At least now I won't have to make another knob! Go ahead... laugh at me... I am...

-Bear

Does it have a telescoping taper attachment? My Grizzly G0709 and Rockwell 10x36 lathes both had that style. The Grizzly has a two-piece cross feed shaft that joins the two pieces together with a keyway. The Rockwell joined the two with a splined shaft.

The nice thing with that style is when using the taper attachment, I set the angle and just clamp the locking block to the bed. They don't need to have their cross-feed nut disabled. The telescoping taper attachments keep the cross feed handle active, not disabled.

Bruce

Back