Another Hendey Refurbish

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently bought another Hendey Tie Bar lathe... my 3rd one. I drove from my home west of Atlanta to Oswego, NY and came home with the Hendey and a Buffalo Forge 21" camelback drill press... about 2,094 miles round trip. I'm nuts... I admit it!

This one is a 14" x 8', made in 1921. It came from the factory with the optional chip pan and taper attachment. I also got a 10" Westcott 4 jaw combination chuck, steady rest, full set of collets, spindle sleeve for the collets, collet drawbar, and the original wooden box for the collet setup, along with the mounting post that mounts the box to the lathe. It also came with a micrometer carriage stop, the original countershaft assembly, and a couple of boxes of tooling.

20210518_105357.jpg

20210519_113116.jpg

20210518_110145.jpg

20210518_110223.jpg

20210518_110414.jpg

20210518_110458.jpg

What I did not get was the mounting assembly to mount the countershaft to the lathe... I'll have to attempt to fabricate something.

There are a couple of issues with the lathe that I know of... the seller disclosed that it has 'Hendyitis'... a condition caused by wear in the thrust washer on the spindle that results in the spindle 'locking' in the tapered inboard main bearing... much like a morse taper locks into a tapered bore. This is repaired by shimming the thrust washer or replacing the thrust washer. Not too difficult...

Next, the cross slide feed clutch was stuck in the open position... more on that later...

Finally, as I was tinkering with the taper attachment, I found an issue with it. There is a knob that adjusts the taper angle... this knob has an 18 tooth pinion gear pressed into the bottom that works against a rack inside the 'slider bar' on the taper attachment... 9 of the gear teeth was stripped off the pinion. I have ordered a gear tooth cutter to machine a new gear.

-Bear

Now, back to the stuck crossfeed clutch...

The male half of the clutch is threaded to the back end of the shaft that the clutch knob mounts to. This thread is what actuates the clutch... as the thread unscrews, it pushes the male half of the clutch into the female half... turn the knob the other way, and the male half moves away from the female half.

When the knob is turned too far, it bottoms the thread out on a flanged head at the back of the shaft. Someone had bottomed the thread, then gave it a few 'ugga-duggas', and locked it- TIGHT against the head.

I worked for an hour trying to pop it loose and finally gave up and took the apron off the lathe and disassembled it. Even after removing the clutch/shaft, I still could not break it loose.

I finally tig welded a nut to the head of the shaft so I would have a better way of gripping the shaft... between the heat and being able to put a wrench on it, it came loose relatively easily. I then machined the nut back off.

Bear

As I was disassembling the apron, I realized that the apron has been rebuilt... and has not been used since the rebuild.

I noticed that the two wormscrews that ride on the lead screw have had bronze thrust washers fitted to eliminate the slop that results from end play wear where they mount in the casting. These washers still had Dykem layout fluid on the thrust faces... so it could not have been used much since they were installed.

Also, the gear that mates with the rack under the front of the table has been replaced. It was originally made onto its shaft as a single piece. Someone has machined that gear off leaving a round stub, machined a new gear to press onto that stub, then brazed it to the shaft.

They did a pretty good job with both repairs...

Sorry for rambling... I'm now caught up with what I've done so far... stay tuned for more...

-Bear

I see you DID make the trip north . Good haul . :encourage:

get yourself some of this
I have some the label says "for experienced personnel use only with proper equipment" its heavy duty de-greaser another one that works well is eastwood chassis kleen but you cant buy it online I had some and it eats paint and any dirt and oil you will be shocked!

Bear, thanks for bringing us all along on this journey!

-brino

I took some pictures this morning...

This is what the taper attachment adjustment knob looks like...20210527_074519.jpg

I'll machine a new gear for it, the cutter is ordered...

The repair on the longitudinal gear...

20210527_074553.jpg

I began disassembling the lathe, breaking it down into the major assemblies. With about two hours work, I mostly have it apart...

20210527_105206.jpg

20210527_105213.jpg

20210527_105221.jpg

20210527_105351.jpg

20210527_105402.jpg

I still have to remove the QCGB housing and the carriage, then I will take the bed off the chip pan.

This lathe, so far, has been much easier to disassemble than my first Hendey project. I have not found any stuck or frozen fasteners, even the lead screw retaining collar came off easily.

So far, I haven't found anything wrong at all... everything looks to be in very good condition. Overall, this lathe is in much better condition than the last one.

-Bear

Back