Another Hendey Refurbish

Does it have a telescoping taper attachment? My Grizzly G0709 and Rockwell 10x36 lathes both had that style. The Grizzly has a two-piece cross feed shaft that joins the two pieces together with a keyway. The Rockwell joined the two with a splined shaft.

The nice thing with that style is when using the taper attachment, I set the angle and just clamp the locking block to the bed. They don't need to have their cross-feed nut disabled. The telescoping taper attachments keep the cross feed handle active, not disabled.

Bruce

No, it is a one piece shaft, but the cross feed nut is never disabled, either... the back end of the shaft is connected to a block that slides in the top of the carriage as the taper attachment operates... as it slides, it 'pulls' (or pushes) the cross slide, shaft, and feed nut with it. When the TA is not in use, the block is clamped to keep it fixed in place.

This may not be easy to visualize... give me a few days to get it all assembled and I'll do a 'photo-writeup' on how it all works together...

-Bear

Does it have a telescoping taper attachment? My Grizzly G0709 and Rockwell 10x36 lathes both had that style. The Grizzly has a two-piece cross feed shaft that joins the two pieces together with a keyway. The Rockwell joined the two with a splined shaft.

Bruce

To follow up on the design of the Hendey taper attachment... I'll see how well I can explain it.

The back end of the crossfeed screw mounts into a block that slides inside the back of the carriage...

20210813_090425.jpg

This block is a tight slip fit between the cross slide ways... it is locked in place by means of a long rod and locking bolt that goes through the side of the carriage...

20210813_090335.jpg

Tighten that bolt and it clamps the block in place, allowing the cross slide screw and nut to operate normally... loosen the bolt and the entire assembly (block, screw, nut, dial, and ballcrank) is free to slide forward and aft...

All the way aft...

20210813_090420.jpg

All the way forward...

20210813_090405.jpg

I had been wondering why Hendey made the front end of the screw so long... once I figured out how the taper attachment works, it all became clear to me.

The taper attachment pulls on the cross slide two different ways... it not only moves the entire screw/ shaft assembly, but also pulls directly on the cross slide by means of a slotted bracket that bolts to the back of the cross slide...20210518_110145.jpg

So, to activate the taper attachment, you unlock the bolt at the end of the carriage, lock the handle above the slotted bracket, and tighten the arm clamp to the rear way.

I hope all of that makes sense...

-Bear

I finally finished cleaning the taper attachment pieces this morning and smeared a little paint on them...

20210818_104410.jpg

20210818_104557.jpg

20210818_104602.jpg

These parts were a real chore to get clean enough... I've been soaking and scrubbing, soaking, scrubbing, etc for several days... they came out pretty good. Maybe I will find time to get it assembled tomorrow.

I also reinstalled the longitudinal gear rack under the front of the bed...

20210818_105757.jpg

...I was about to forget it, until I saw it out in my shop this morning while working on the taper attachment.

The first Hendey project had some of you guys saying that I was fasttracking it... I'm making up for that with this one. 70 hour work weeks don't leave much time to play, just bear with me, I'll get it done eventually!

As soon as I get the TA assembled, I guess I'll have to clean up this cluttered workbench...

20210818_111907.jpg

... so I'll have room to disassemble the apron... I have too much junk...

-Bear

Definitely some happy clutter there. Just hope you don't lose (or temporarily misplace) a vital part for your next reassembly step :)

This morning I realized that I'm getting ahead of myself with the taper attachment. The back end of the cross slide lead screw mounts in the TA slider block... it slides through and has a nut on the end to retain it... this nut has to be installed before the TA is assembled.

20210819_085410.jpg

After the TA is installed, there is NO access to this nut...

20210819_090645.jpg

In other words, if I install the TA now, then later I have to take the cross slide lead screw back out for some reason, I will have to completely disassemble the TA to get to this nut.

So, I proceeded to plan B... I went ahead and reassembled the TA... off the lathe...

20210819_101016.jpg

I'll put it on a shelf and let it sit until I have the lathe running and am satisfied that everything is good with the cross slide operation, then install the TA.

On the first Hendey, I think I probably had the cross slide lead screw out a half dozen times while working on it... no point in installing the TA if I'll just have to take it back off.

The TA bed clamp is also finished...

20210819_101033.jpg

I also cleaned off my workbench...20210819_090751.jpg

Now I have room to work on the apron.

-Bear

I went ahead and disassembled the apron...

20210819_113554.jpg

It only took about an hour... after doing a couple of disassemblies, it gets pretty easy... I've learned what order everything has to be removed.

The front and rear castings are soaking in the parts cleaner... maybe I can get back to them tomorrow.

-Bear

Back