Another Hendey Refurbish

I've finally found some time to work on the Hendey again... I've finished assembling the gear train between the headstock and the QCGB. I've also finished cleaning and prepping all of the gear covers and guards for paint. The smaller gearbox is still soaking in the degreaser, hopefully I'll be able to get it cleaned and painted this week.

In one of my last updates I mentioned that the longitudinal feed pinion was rubbing the rack under the bed... what was happening was, when moving the carriage toward the chuck, there was a place about 6 inches from the chuck where it would suddenly get very tight. After checking everything thoroughly, I found one bent tooth on the rack gear...

20211109_083318.jpg

I removed the rack, (which meant disassembling the QCGB again and removing the lead screw so I could get to the rack bolts) and put it on the workbench... I basically 'cold worked' the bent tooth back into useable condition. After reinstalling the rack, the carriage now moves smoothy through it's full travel. Now I have to reassemble the QCGB and the other gearing.

-Bear

Glad you got rewarded for your efforts. While finding that sort of thing is a little depressing, it is also encouraging because at least you found the problem and figured out the fix. Knowing something doesn't feel right but not being able to diagnose it is much worse. Ask me how I know. Dave

Today I finished re-assembling the QCGB and set the end thrust on the leadscrew... then installed the bull gear and back gear guards. I also installed the remaining gears on the outboard end of the headstock and the upper gear cover...

20211115_105154.jpg

I finished painting the lower gear cover and the small gearbox casting...

20211115_105218.jpg

The change mechanism that goes in the small gearbox will have to be disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, and lubricated, then the small gearbox can be reassembled and reinstalled. The lower gear cover is the last piece to be installed in the gear train.

Once I get all this assembled, I should be able to install a motor and transmission and crank it up and see if it actually works... I'm looking forward to that.

Maybe by next week, I'll know whether my efforts have been worthwhile...

-Bear

Today I finished re-assembling the QCGB and set the end thrust on the leadscrew... then installed the bull gear and back gear guards. I also installed the remaining gears on the outboard end of the headstock and the upper gear cover...

View attachment 385506

I finished painting the lower gear cover and the small gearbox casting...

View attachment 385509

Maybe by next week, I'll know whether my efforts have been worthwhile...
Just in time to start working on the next one... Great work.

Looking great. What kind of transmission are you using with the motor? My Niles looks like it has a very early 4 speed truck trans. Thinking about using a T-5, 5 speed I have, as it's lighter, and would give a little more range. Mike

For now, I'm planning to use the 4 speed Turner Uni-Drive and motor that is currently on the other Hendey lathe. It can be swapped fairly easily.

Eventually, of course, I will have to come up with a different drive system... I have a countershaft and pulley, but no way to mount it...

I will probably fabricate something... IDK yet.

-Bear

Looking great. What kind of transmission are you using with the motor? My Niles looks like it has a very early 4 speed truck trans. Thinking about using a T-5, 5 speed I have, as it's lighter, and would give a little more range. Mike
And one of these to go with it...

3910201.jpg

This morning I assembled and installed the small gearbox and the lower gear cover...

20211117_103054.jpg

I'm almost finished with the headstock... the only thing left to do with the headstock is to install the spindle dust cover that goes behind the chuck. I'll work on that tomorrow... if I have time...

-Bear

Back