Another Lathe Dro Install

RJ
Is this tubing oil tight, i.e. won't let oil get into the wiring, or is this a problem?

CHuck the grumpy old guy
No, it is not oil tight. I didn't think it would be a issue on my lathe as I don't use coolant and the cables are fairly well out of the way from stray oil. I used the same conduit on my Tormach homing mod where I do have coolant issues. There, I jacketed the conduit with oil resistant Tygon tubing purchased from McMaster. For terminations, I modified some brass compression fittings to make a liquid tight seal. This conduit is the same stuff they use in the DRO glass scales. I have had those scales in operation on my mill drill for eleven years without a problem.

I was inspired by this project and finally started my installation. I've had the scales for a bit but have been scratching my head on how to mount them. I did get distracted installing the DRO on my mill but got that done a few days ago.

I work nights and stay up all night even on my days off; today was my day off. I headed out to the shop around midnight and fiddled a bit. I came up with what I think is a pretty simple solution for connecting the reader head to the carriage. Just a simple milled aluminum block and the hardware that came with the scales. I sort of borrowed from my experience with the Mill DRO and the FigNoggle plans. This doesn't allow for a chip cover, but I'll figure something out.

I'd upload a pic but they keep posting upside down.

Oh - and I did order some 1/4" steel conduit (I really liked that part of the design). I got way more than I need but 50' is on the way. I can always use it on the mill and other projects..

Last edited:
Finally got it to post right side up. Something to do with way the Ipad took the photo..

Reading Head Bracket View 3.JPG

Beautifully done. I've also filed it away for future use. Thanks, Mike

Very nice! I need to do this with my new SB eventually. I like how you set this up and I will probably copy what you have done. Maybe you can help me through it when I get started.
R

Very nice! I need to do this with my new SB eventually. I like how you set this up and I will probably copy what you have done. Maybe you can help me through it when I get started.
R

Glad to help. You cam PM me with any questions. As you are laying things out, double check dimensions. There were some last minute changes that should have made it into the SolidWorks models but may not have.

This project was truly an inspiration for me. I completed the Cross Slide DRO install today. I a little different bur I used what I had on hand.
Just waiting on the conduit and Touch DRO components to arrive!

Cross Slide View 1.JPG

I downloaded the files; great job by the way! Do you happen to have a drawing of the cross slide mount? I'm looking for the measurements to the clearance holes and such. I know I can figure it out but I much prefer to stand on the work of others..

I downloaded the files; great job by the way! Do you happen to have a drawing of the cross slide mount? I'm looking for the measurements to the clearance holes and such. I know I can figure it out but I much prefer to stand on the work of others..
There may not have been drawings made as some parts went into the CAM program and exited as G-code. Let me know which parts/areas you are interested in and I will find or create a drawing. You cam PM me if you wish with e-mail address and I can send SolidWorks drawings or I can save as jpg files.

I know this thread is a bit old, but just wanted to say thanks. I finally got around to ordering some of the igaging DRO's for my G0602 and I'm sure this will help with the mounting!

Back