Another machine shop auction in the Bay Area

Finally got around to reviewing the listing this evening. Rather a cool range of items offered.
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what lathe that the Machinists Turret Vise Lot #0287 goes to?
Lot #0301 would keep a person busy sorting it out for at least a month - IMO. Lot of lathe accessories in the drawers. I wonder if they belong to one of the lathes... Also some cool items in the drawers.
Wish it were closer to home.

I wish it were closer to me also. But an over 500 mile round trip is a killer for a few small items. I have a cousin in Fremont. I might give her a call to see if she would pick the stuff up for me and then mail it to me.

Don’t forget that your finial winning bid price is not the total price of the item. You will also pay a buyer’s premium (14%) and maybe sales tax? And expect everything to be wrong with the toy you get. You will need to be handy with fixing things. But in the end, could have a nice addition to your hobby shop:).

It is about 100 miles for me. And, yes, there is some nice stuff there. BUT, would have to go by the photos and hope for the best, or a 200 mile round trip to inspect them, and then win the auction, followed by another 200 mile drive, and paying a 14% tithe to the auctioneers, plus around 8% or more sales tax in that area, and I get MUCH less excited about it. The devil is usually in the details. Ah, chips&more posted while I am typing, he agrees, and he lives a lot closer than I do. Depends on what you think you need or want really bad...

Some auctions don't have a buyers premium and if it does then you figure that into what you are willing to bid. It's not like it is some hidden charge buried in the fine print. And there is sales tax on everything. Even internet sales are now going to have sales tax. Last year the Supreme Court overruled their prior case about no sales tax on mail order sales. Would not surprise me that in the not too distant future Internet buyers will pay two sales taxes. One in the state where the seller is located and another in the state where the buyer is located all collected at the time of sale. Just a matter of when the computer programs will be up and running to collect the tax.

When I bid on something at an auction whether online or in person I set a price that I won't bid above. And I never bid above that price. West Auction work likes Ebay. You put in your maximum bid and the system automatically bids for you up to the amount of your maximum bid.

Anytime you buy something that is used you have to expect that it may need some repair. Just look at all the threads on this forum and others where people are looking for advice on how to repair their new toy. I would not buy a big dollar item without looking at it. Even then you won't really know it's true condition until you get it home and try to use it. For small stuff it's not worth the time to go check it out and then go back to get it.

I don't really need anything right now. I would like to have a 6" dial caliper. I get tired of changing the batteries in my digital caliper and the old eyes are having a hard time reading my venier caliper. I will need a boring head for a future project and a better vise(s) for the drill presses.

I'm interested in a few items if they go cheap enough. That 6" 6 jaw chuck would be nice, but that is a useful size for anything from a 10-14" lathe and probably not terribly expensive to ship so I'm not getting my hopes up that it will go cheap.
Kind of interested in the vac-forming table too, it would save me from building one. I'm a little more hopeful on that since it is a little more of a limited interest and big enough to be locals only.

There is another one coming up in Penngrove (about an our north of this one) next month that has some machining related stuff. Couple of lathes and related.

I don't know the value of a lot of the stuff up for auction but it sure seemed like people bid very high prices for a lot of this stuff.

Back