Another Mill Decision Dilemma PM833T or PM835S

TX COWDOC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Greetings - I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis and would appreciate some nudging one way or the other. It's down to these 2 machines.
I'm building rifles and no longer wish to sub out mill work. I've reached out to a few members privately and not getting much in the way of feedback.
Thank you -

Doc, did your searches dig this one up?

Doc, did your searches dig this one up?
Yes sir. The 833T is a fine machine. I've almost pulled the trigger on it a couple of times. The larger, heavier 835S is also on my list but I can't seem to get feedback on the Chinese made base. In terms of fit & finish, dial backlash, etc. how's it stack up? I'd love some feedback from those with the 835S.

I can see why it's a hard decision.

My 835s has been good so far. The base has some rough spots on the casting where it was not finished real good in the area where the bottom holes to bolt it down are. The table is good, and the screws had .003” backlash when delivered, and now after 20 or so hours of use, they are about the same. I will take a few pics tomorrow and send them to you.

My 835s has been good so far. The base has some rough spots on the casting where it was not finished real good in the area where the bottom holes to bolt it down are. The table is good, and the screws had .003” backlash when delivered, and now after 20 or so hours of use, they are about the same. I will take a few pics tomorrow and send them to you.
Thank you V35B.

If that works out it would be awesome for the Doc.

I'm struggling between the 835 with DRO and the 833tv and putting the dro on myself to save money.

I've got a guy saying the 835 isn't any more rigid that the 833. I don't know what to think. I'd love the variable speed of the 833 and I hardly do bigger jobs but it is a tough choice.

I'm struggling between the 835 with DRO and the 833tv and putting the dro on myself to save money.

I've got a guy saying the 835 isn't any more rigid that the 833. I don't know what to think. I'd love the variable speed of the 833 and I hardly do bigger jobs but it is a tough choice.

Neither of these mills is very rigid. According to a former machinist I know, neither is a full sized BP. He called BPs 'hobby' or 'prototype' mills.

If you want the most rigid machine you can get in a hobby machine, think 940 bed mill. I had the CO version and for it's size it was an animal. But I digress...

The differences you should be looking at between the 835 and the 833 is the knee and articulating head on the 835. If you need/want this flexibility, look at the 835. If you don't need/want this, go for the 833.

Back