Another Modification To The Engine Hoist.

Just proves how useful the little engine crane can be. Got to love this site I find many more projects to do , ill have to live to a hundred just to get my list built.

What a GREAT MOD to your hoist Dan! I really appreciate you posting the thread. I have no idea how I missed it a year ago or maybe I just cruised by not giving it a second thought. I just spent the last hour scouring the net looking for this exact mod for almost the same reason only to be led to a forum I am not only a member but on the staff. :laughing:

I am in the process of replacing the rear differential in my 85 Corvette and the whole diff and cross member needs to be moved. I do not have the same reasons to mod my lift as you, I just don't like the trans jacks and I want something that is far more versatile. I got the rear-end out with the help of 4 young lads visiting the neighbors, but I can't count on them being there when I go to install it. I think my job has a little lighter lift requirements than yours. I sure could have used their help when I dropped the exhaust, but I managed.

I am going to steal your design and possibly modify it to be a little more versatile for other jobs. Stay tuned, I will keep you posted on my design and follow up on the diff install, I'll start my own thread not to trample on your master piece. Thanks again for a great thread and mod. :cheer:

Thanks Randy, just saw this. Let me know if you have any questions or need any pictures.

Lifting height is only limited by the engine hoist but my design can only be lowered until the rear section hits the upper arm on the hoist. This was the only way I could figure out that allowed me to do the work my self with some level of safety.

Thanks Randy, just saw this. Let me know if you have any questions or need any pictures.

Lifting height is only limited by the engine hoist but my design can only be lowered until the rear section hits the upper arm on the hoist. This was the only way I could figure out that allowed me to do the work my self with some level of safety.

Yeah Dan, the lowering constraint is a consideration, though I don't think that it is an issue most of the time. The contraption would be used mostly for component support and up on removal it usually doesn't matter if you can lower it completely to the floor. I'll be sure to give you a holler if have further questions.

Back