Another Mystery Tool

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Came with a 10" Atlas lathe, the threads match the spindle threads, so it could be attached to the spindle. Has a funny looking collet in it. I've got it soaking in penetrating oil and hopefully can get some parts of it to free up and move. Almost looks like a lever collet closer that threads onto the spindle, but there isn't anywhere on the machine to attach it to, and the collet type is unknown. Suggestions?

Looks to be shop made, it is a push type collet, could be a stub style collet, looks very short.

It probably uses a Brown & Sharpe collet. They had the advantage of maintaining position when actuated. Get the dimensions of the collet and find out what B&S number it is. Probably plenty of collets available.

With that threaded hole in the base of the mounting bracket, I'm thinking there was a flat plate mounted on the lathe with a single bolt through it and into the bracket. Check for a couple of holes on the lathe where a plate could have been mounted. The single bolt into the bracket would have allowed it to pivot a bit for alignment.

Hadn't occurred to me that it could be a push style collet, or that it may have been attached to the bed. Atlas has flat ways, so it could have been held in place sort of like the tailstock. I'll keep playing with it, try to get it apart. Let you know what I find.

Back