another new guy

jbalp

Registered
Registered
Hello All I'm new to the forum, of course I've come here to learn and gather information..
thanks for letting me join.
I just recently purchased a 1987 jet 1336 pbd and there are few things I'd like to get opinions on.
1st: the belts no doubt they are original . I'm going to replace both. the motor drive belt is not a big deal but the spindle belt is another story. the spindle needs to come out. I don't know if taking the time to tear it apart is worth it, maybe I should use a segmented belt ? I did research whats available and it looks like they come only in 1/2" widths . I know the belts on this machine are somewhat wider then that.. 9/16 I think .. am i going to have an issue using a 1/2" belt ?
2nd : its a threaded spindle . there are some projects that I'd like to turn in reverse. I've thought about fabbing some sort of lock for the chuck to spindle. a collar / keyway .. ??? has anyone done this ??

thanks

Welcome to HM.

I replaced the Spindle Belt on my lathe with a segmented belt. I've been happy so far. As mentioned by others I did notice a lowering in spindle vibration after changing to a segmented belt. I too wondered "standard" V belt vs segmented. I figured I try the segmented first (easiest) and if I didn't like it, I could alway go through the trouble to take the spindle apart and install a standard v belt.

My lathe also has a treaded chuck. I don't do much machining in reverse. But when I have I've not had it loosen. When I do remove it, I do make sure everything is clean when I tread it back on, letting the momentum from hand spinning the chuck seat it up tight. Regards to making a lock. Stefan Gotteswinter (a Machinist on YouTube) showed a lock he made where he drilled and tapped a collar, then machined a small brass plug that dropped into the hole and was compressed against the spindle with a set screw. I figured I use that idea if I ever needed my chuck mounted more securely.

that collar with the brass plug sounds like a good idea ..

Welcome to the site, if your belts aren't hard or worn real bad on the spindle I'd run it awhile to see if there may be other problems . YA NEVER know when buying machinery even new.

Welcome to the site, I have the link belts on one lathe and have old nomal belts on the other. Figure I will change them out when they break etc. for now they work. Like silverbullet said If they are not bad, I would just run them, maybe get a set of linkbelts for when they start to go bad. Then change them.

I put some time on the lathe today, set it up the best I could and ran a test on it. I have a 18"x 2" piece of brass stock set that up between centers
and ran a cut. I've got, .00175 taper in 16" .. could be the tailstock for all I know .. I need to learn how to accurately set the tailstock . I brought the center together but I don't think I can see .00175.
advice ??

jbalp

0.002 over 16" for a used lathe is not an issue in my world. Is the taper evenly progressive (for lack of a better term) from end to end. If so you could just tweek the tailstock ever so slightly. Did you check the bed with a level before you started?

Back