Another newbe signing in.

Is there anyplace besides the internet [e-bay] and craigslist where I can find tooling for a lathe. There is a lot on e-bay, mostly used and a lot is non returnable. I can understand all that but what can be returned is costly so I will try to get it right the first time. Wish me luck and thanks again to all of you. BILL

e-bay is only one of many places on the internet. Seems a lot of people are ordering direct from China via Ali-Express. Also there are the big supplies like Enco, MSC, McMasters-Carr and huge number of medium and smaller online retailers. If your looking for a walk-in storefront, I have no idea 100% of what I have is via online purchase in one form or another. (except a few tool boxes I got from Sears on sale)

big supplies like Enco,
Did they come back, I wish they would.
I have seen the 2 1/4 x 8 a lot, while searching for my oddball 2 x 8 tpi. Keep an eye in you local craigslist for them as well.

e-bay is only one of many places on the internet. Seems a lot of people are ordering direct from China via Ali-Express. Also there are the big supplies like Enco, MSC, McMasters-Carr and huge number of medium and smaller online retailers. If your looking for a walk-in storefront, I have no idea 100% of what I have is via online purchase in one form or another. (except a few tool boxes I got from Sears on sale)
If ordering from china a body might want to hurry up, tariff may raise prices. I will check as many as I can. Thanks BILL

Another problem. Tool for my lathe. I have An Aloris Set up 3/4 X 3/4 inches By about 6" long, How do I get the proper size bits?? I have a 1" X 1/8 X 4+" cut off tool with a bit in only on end. I need to replace the bits but I am reluctant to order, I don't want to be returning a lot of "stuff" Where to start??? Any advice. Thanks BILL

I am looking for a Stubby or short MT5 For a Sheldon Lathe, about 1.618 OD at the big end less than 4&3/8" long from that point. Any body familiar with Sheldon?? Any advice ?? Thanks BILL

First ,, HI AND WELCOME,, now I've found that a nice heavy pry bar wedged between the jaws and about two feet long with the bar held a couple good raps with a hammer usually will bust loose the chuck . If not then I dismantle the chuck if need be to get a grip to knock it loose.
Try heat and kroil first it may take days of heating to about 150- 200degrees not smoking or glowing just warm it up to expand the metal apply kroil and repeat everyday or so try the quick rap and turn eventually they come off.

I got the chuck off and I have a dog plate coming. Now I need a short 5MT 1.618 "OD at the large end less than 4&3/8" long. I have received a couple of leads that are promising but still looking. Thank every body for all the help.BILL

I have done a few practice cuts and some threading, no major problems can get within .002. Everything seems to work. The cross feed and clutch were painted over at some time in the past and needed to be freed up but they work now. I have a few questions and a lot of learning. The carriage seems to be loose, Whenever I hand feed I can see the carriage kind of twist itself. quite a bit. When I feed auto it twist too. How can it cut straight being so loose?? Am I just getting lucky for now. I am a little confused. Any advice, thanks, BILL

Back