Another newbe signing in.

William Terry

Registered
Registered
I have a Sheldon Model EM-46-P. I want to remove the chuck. I have no idea how long it has been on there. It seems pretty well stuck. I t is a screw on chuck . There is no cone Pulley on this lathe.. Ware Would I place the locking belt? I have not tried too hard yet, I don't want to break anything. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Bill. Please keep in mind that I am new at this.

Welcome to the Forum Bill. I can't help you with particular issue but I am sure you will get some good advice shortly. BTW, we love pictures. Including a few pictures of your shop/Lathe/Chuck might help. Did I mention how much pictures can help :).

Hi Bill. Try using some penetrating oil or liquid wrench. Let it sit for a few hours or days. Then put a piece of wood like a 2x2 in the jaws like a lever and try tugging, that might do it. Maybe also tap tap tapping with another block of wood. Hard to damage things using wood. You could stuff a piece of rag in the pulley to hold it still.. It's v-belt right?
Mark

Last edited:
Most folks would engage the back gears to prevent the spindle from turning, but this can result in breaking a tooth off one of the gears if too much force is used; personally, I put a wood block between the rear bed way and, and with the back gears engaged and the lock bolt withdrawn and the spindle speed set for the lowest speed, reverse the lathe so that one of the chuck jaws contacts the block of wood And generally, the chuck starts to unscrew and can then be removed further by unscrewing by hand; this method, too is not without risk to the drivetrain; I think there is no easy positive way that does not carry some risk of damage. Penetrating oils will prove nearly useless, as it is the fit against the shoulder of the spindle that is causing the difficulty, and no oil is going to penetrate a metal to metal fit.
You might first try the previous writer's method with the rag to jam the belt and the tapping, then if that is not successful try a good size Crescent wrench on one of the chuck jaws and give a number of good sharp raps at its outer end.

This is from the Yahoo Sheldon site , John Knox worked for Sheldon as a design engineer for a long time,
This is how he suggests removing a stuck chuck,

“the chuck is stuck on the thread there are 2 ways that will avoid breaking teeth on the backgearing. one is to extend a or the jaws out beyond the OD of the chuck about 1/2" to 1" , place a piece of wood on the rear bed ways that will contact the chuck jaw at roughly 9 o'clock, now turn the chuck by hand so the jaw is at 12 o'clock and by hand whip the chuck such that the jaw contacts the wood with as much force as possible. This may have to be done several times but it will loosen the chuck. Another way is to force a tapered piece of wood down between the teeth on the front of the bullgear and put a bar horizontal thru the jaws and force the end of bar down, Regards John K”

Hope it helps.
If your planning on going thru the lathe you may want to join the group, it’s kinda a pita to navigate the site but there’s lots of Sheldon info there, also look here in the Sheldon section lots of good info here also.

Last edited:
I tried this. Disconnected spindle from all gears so it would turn free not engaged to anything, put a 1" piece of cold rolled hex stock and used an impact wrench on it. Heated it with a " Shrink Tube Gun". So far no movement. I am not going to give up. Someone suggested I use split {socket or split something} By putting it in the rear of the spindle. I hope he will send me a picture. I will post some pics when the wife is here to help, I am not too good at this computer stuff. Thank for all the help. BILL

Hi Bill,

A stuck chuck is one problem that is discussed a lot here.
See this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...of-beall-er32-collet-chuck.66370/#post-553577
In particular, I recently posted a list of threads for building a "hand crank" for the lathe spindle. The same diagonal wedge idea could be used for a spindle lock: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...-of-beall-er32-collet-chuck.66370/post-555434

Worst case, it looks like there may be just enough room to unbolt the chuck from the back-plate (assuming those bolts are not stuck!).
Then the back-plate could be cut/split to save the spindle.

Good luck, and please keep updates coming!

-brino

Hi Bill. Try using some penetrating oil or liquid wrench. Let it sit for a few hours or days. Then put a piece of wood like a 2x2 in the jaws like a lever and try tugging, that might do it. Maybe also tap tap tapping with another block of wood. Hard to damage things using wood. You could stuff a piece of rag in the pulley to hold it still.. It's v-belt right?
Mark
Tried All That. Tried an impact wrench, with all gears disconnected of course, held big gear to keep spindle from turning. Would not budge. Still trying. Thanks for the info. BILL

Tried All That. Tried an impact wrench, with all gears disconnected of course, held big gear to keep spindle from turning. Would not budge. Still trying. Thanks for the info. BILL
Eureka I Got It off . Made an internal and an external clamps, a piece of 1 & 1/4 hex ,a 3/4 inch socket wrench and a 4 foot cheater and it came right off. Now I will look for a four jaw chuck and a face plate. The spindle threads are 2&1/4 inch {2.142} Inch by 8tpi. Will surfe the internet. Any leads will be appreciated. I do not have endless $$$; no one I know does. If you know of any such send me an email. Thanks a million Bill

Back