Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

makes sense. or maybe they had to pick up some king crab.

That’s awesome! My retirement dream is a live aboard catamaran, with a home base house and shop. Migrate for the winter to the Caribbean
Been thinking the same for some years now. Something around a 45 ft. cat would be awesome!

The major thing holding us back is the likelihood of potentially losing your boat due to hurricanes.

My dad had a tri years ago and almost lost it around Bermuda in a hurricane. About a year later he ended up hitting a stray container in the night in a storm south of Cuba and lost his starboard hull. He was able to limp the boat back into Havana Bay. But that wasn’t until he had spent two days in the storm sitting in the cockpit of his tri (now a bi) afraid to go beneath because without one hull it would have been easy to flip and he did not have escape hatches.

It’s a hazardous place with many ways to find trouble!

And then there’s the question of leaving the cat tied up in a berth or pulling it out every year into dry dock? Not a cheap proposition either way.

Last edited:
While in the Caribbean, if you make it down to Trinidad, be sure to give me a call! :eagerness:
And grab a few doubles while you are at it!! Delicious!!

Just used a different calculator and it showed 18 days at 13 knots and 24 days at 10 knots.

But I just looked at the first ship and it looks to be doing around 18 knots, so that would be around 13 days.

Not sure what these ships do fully loaded?
When mine came the slowest part was through panama. The load and unload times are pretty fast these days, in New York they go from the ship to train in less than 2 day. The next step is once PM gets the crates they inspect and repack them and that take a little while.

Hope you get you equipment soon!

Ever Steady has made up some significant ground on Oakland.

ES is approaching Taiwan now, and Oakland has been anchored outside of Hong Kong for quite some time.

Update - The 833TV is no longer shipping on the Oakland. It is going to be on the OOCL Chicago, which should be porting in Taiwan in 2 days.

1340GT shipment is still traveling on Ever Steady. 833TV to PM mid to late September, 1340GT to PM late Sept.

Update - The 833TV is no longer shipping on the Oakland. It is going to be on the OOCL Chicago, which should be porting in Taiwan in 2 days.

1340GT shipment is still traveling on Ever Steady. 833TV to PM mid to late September, 1340GT to PM late Sept.
I suspect that a lot can change before this tale is over!

Back