Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Just as I posted my last response I got a notification from “Marine Traffic” app that the Eversteady has changed port destinations from Taipei to Xiamen China. So there goes that ride!

I guess we now to get to wait and see what the new schedule is once again.

We might see these machines in 2021??? Or not.

Just as I posted my last response I got a notification from “Marine Traffic” app that the Eversteady has changed port destinations from Taipei to Xiamen China. So there goes that ride!

I guess we now to get to wait and see what the new schedule is once again.

We might see these machines in 2021??? Or not.
Was just coming back here to say that...

My HOPE is that the re-routed to get the China port call out of the way now, while that port is still open, instead of going after Taiwan and risking having to anchor for a week due to a shut down.

Was just coming back here to say that...

My HOPE is that the re-routed to get the China port call out of the way now, while that port is still open, instead of going after Taiwan and risking having to anchor for a week due to a shut down.
That certainly seems like a logical assumption. Do you know if that port was on the schedule already?

I sure hope you're right, this is getting very long in the tooth so to speak.

Edit: I was just wondering if you had gotten some insight from PM? But re-reading your post I see that it’s not the case.

Last edited:
That certainly seems like a logical assumption. Do you know if that port was on the schedule already?

I sure hope you're right, this is getting very long in the tooth so to speak.

Edit: I was just wondering if you had gotten some insight from PM? But re-reading your post I see that it’s not the case.
I did get the new boat information from PM today.

I did get the new boat information from PM today.
Well, it will be interesting to see if you get another update from PM as to whether or not the Eversteady is still slated for the 1340’s or not.

I wonder if these ships are going to offload on the west coast or go through the Panama Canal and up the east coast?

It’s an amazing amount of logistics that it takes to move goods around the globe!

Well, it will be interesting to see if you get another update from PM as to whether or not the Eversteady is still slated for the 1340’s or not.

I wonder if these ships are going to offload on the west coast or go through the Panama Canal and up the east coast?

It’s an amazing amount of logistics that it takes to move goods around the globe!
I’m not sure about the Ever Steady, but Chicago is slated for porting in Seattle, and the container would go by rail to PA. This is the 833 ship.

I’m not sure about the Ever Steady, but Chicago is slated for porting in Seattle, and the container would go by rail to PA. This is the 833 ship.
I would suspect that would be the best option. As I understand it, rail is the cheapest way to move goods in the world of transportation, but I could be mis-informed.

It’s an interesting coincidence (for lack of the word I am unable to recall at the moment) that should the 1340’s take the same route of the 833’s, that my lathe may very well go across the tracks about a mile from my house on it’s way to PA, before being shipped back to me on a truck.

Our little town here in the north of Idaho is a thoroughfare for rail out of the PNW headed east and rail moving the opposite direction. I’ve seen many Boeing 737 “green” fuselages rolling though town headed east for further assembly. Tons and tons of rail roll through our little town daily.

I would suspect that would be the best option. As I understand it, rail is the cheapest way to move goods in the world of transportation, but I could be mis-informed.

I think it depends on how you are looking at the cost. If you look at cost as dollar per ton-mile, the sequence for modalities from cheap to expensive is generally sea/water < rail < intermodal (rail/truck) < truck < air. But if you take fixed cost (e.g. loading / modality change) into account, you can roughly say that up to a few hundred miles (~350-500 mi in 2000) truck has the lowest total cost, followed by rail to about 1000 mi and water (ocean/coastal/river) fro any longer distance. This data may all be a bit dated (I was part of a EU future of supply chain management project nearly 20 years ago) so please don't take this for gospel.

So no, I can't weigh in how these scheduling ship decisions are made (unfortunately).

Back