Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

My machines were on the boat from Taiwan, approached the west coast, then turned south to go through the Panama canal, up to New York. Got put on a train to PM, was offloaded, inspected, repackaged, and put on a truck to cross the US to the west coast, then transferred to a smaller delivery vehicle. In both cases the delivery truck was barely able to off load the machines because of the tailgate size. It killed me to see the machines come so close to Seattle only to veer south to go to New York.

But the wait was work it. I love the machines almost as much as my wife, maybe a little more on some days :D

Last edited:
So I have a few questions.

I want to be able to cut curves, radii, etc. I also want to be able to, less importantly, cut gears. I have no plans on spirals.

Would a horizontal/vert rotary table with dividing plates be more useful than a BS-1 dividing head for me? What size?

2nd question. Looking at buying a Machinery’s Handbook. What version hits the price/content sweet spot for non CNC use? I will probably get into modeling with CAD.

thanks!

I gave Chevy my 26th edition years ago as a gift when he visited my shop, to encourage him in setting up his own Machine Shop as I noted his eagerness.
Two weeks ago, bought a used, excellent condition, 25th edition on Amazon for like $30 and very happy with it. The newer editions mainly just have CNC info appended to the other relevant info.

I have a Phase II 4" Rotary Table I've used to cut curves, radii, gears etc on my Mini-Mill, and that has worked fine for me. When I CNCed the Mini-Mill, I bought a CNC-ready 3" Rotary Table and added a pneumatically raised Lexan enclosure, to make it my 4-axis, CNC VMC.

My HOPE is that the re-routed to get the China port call out of the way now, while that port is still open, instead of going after Taiwan and risking having to anchor for a week due to a shut down.
Looks like your logic was sound! The Ever Steady is now showing due in Taipei on the 17th.

Ever Steady is in Taipei, and Chicago is moored and waiting for taxi into Shenzhen.

New update from Precision Matthews.

1340GT - OOCL Oakland - Arrives in Seattle Sept 4th.
833TV - OOCL Chicago - Arrives in Seattle Sept 7th.

OOCL Oakland is currently in Taiwan at port.
OOCL Chicago is currently in port in China, and has already been to Taiwan

Ever Steady is no longer a viable ship to track.

I guess realistically it‘s likely going to be late Oct to early Nov at this point?

I wonder how it works when the containers offload in port. If the entire container load is going to PM, then I suppose it gets transferred straight to rail and then starts out across the country. But if the entire load is not one shipment then there has to be some redistribution at some point in the journey.

I am not finding anything definitive as to the rail times coast to coast. I would guess with the likelihood that the container would be transferred from one operator to another (BNSF - UP for instance) as it moves across the country that it could be 2-3 weeks to make it from SEA to PA.

Then PM needs at least a few weeks to sort, inspect, repack and ship out. Then the road trip begins back across the country.

Christian, you being in Atlanta should see yours sooner. But then I guess it also depends on where we are on the list in this shipment. Last time I emailed with John he stated that I was #13 on the list for this shipment. I imagine when a large shipment comes in at PM that they are crazy busy!

edit: I just found the email with PM and I’m #6 in line, not #13 as I recalled.

Last edited:
Back