Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

OK so I have a question for all that have wrangled a 1340 down some steps, etc.

I got rid of some bulk and weight via tali stock, compound chip guard, obviously the chuck. Here is where I am at now.

tempImageo5cDR7.jpg

tempImagew1yUgm.jpg

1 - I know the motor is an easy removal, but I don't want to make this thing too top heavy.

2 - Cross slide/Apron - Is the juice worth the squeeze

3 - Removing the head. That would make this job easier, and somewhat safer. How much hassle would I REALLY be adding getting it aligned again?

Thanks All!

As it sits right now the weight is totally manageable. You'd be surprised how well you can move it around with simple tools. When I sold my 1340 I used a come along to pull it across the floor and up on to the guys trailer. Two guys and a strong rope and you could slide it right down the stairs on the pallet. Use a bar for small movements and turning.

As it sits right now the weight is totally manageable. You'd be surprised how well you can move it around with simple tools. When I sold my 1340 I used a come along to pull it across the floor and up on to the guys trailer. Two guys and a strong rope and you could slide it right down the stairs on the pallet. Use a bar for small movements and turning.
The stairs are a tad tricky. First half is curved, so the inside stairs are steeper than the outside. Then a landing that is smaller square than the lathe is long for a hard 90 degree turn. All this is on uneven stone steps. Loads of friction, no rope will be needed to slow it down.

I would pull the motor, haven't removed a headstock, but might be a worthwhile because it is very top heavy and will want to flip. The headstock often needs to be realigned on the 1340GT. Also think of what people are going to be grabbing onto when moving it.

You might get some ideas here:

If I had your situation with stairs at angles, I would probably use an appliance/hand cart like this:

C75340A9-87A8-4E03-B71E-97245FA7D2EC.jpeg

Remove the tailstock, motor, apron/cross slide, and strap what remains (bedways & headstock which weigh about 400 pounds) to the hand cart with the headstock facing down and resting on the sled. Two people should be able to maneuver that load down twisty stairs one step at a time. The headstock weighs about 180 pounds, and you’ll want a to align it no matter what after the lathe is set up on the stand, so you could remove it as well (if you don’t have a helper for the contraption mentioned above) and move the items separately. The bedway casting is the heaviest component.

You might get additional inspirations here.

Back