Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

You might get some ideas here:

If I had your situation with stairs at angles, I would probably use an appliance/hand cart like this:

View attachment 384280
Remove the tailstock, motor, apron/cross slide, and strap what remains (bedways & headstock which weigh about 400 pounds) to the hand cart with the headstock facing down and resting on the sled. Two people should be able to maneuver that load down twisty stairs one step at a time. The headstock weighs about 180 pounds, and you’ll want a to align it no matter what after the lathe is set up on the stand, so you could remove it as well (if you don’t have a helper for the contraption mentioned above) and move the items separately. The bedway casting is the heaviest component.

You might get additional inspirations here.
David,

When you removed our headstock, how did you grip it?

Would a rope through the spindle work, or would that put a dangerous side load on it?

Also, for the apron and cross slide removal, do you know of any threads that provide the how to? It looks to be pretty complex, especially the apron, as it requires removal of the control bar, power feed bar, and lead screw.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I never removed the headstock. This is as stripped down as I went, although taking off the Norton gearbox is a cinch.

In your situation, if you remove the headstock, bolt it down to a platform you can get a grip on without going through the spindle. Something like a mini wooden stretcher made from the pallet/shipping materials could be carried down steps by two people.

I never removed the headstock. This is as stripped down as I went, although taking off the Norton gearbox is a cinch.

In your situation, if you remove the headstock, bolt it down to a platform you can get a grip on without going through the spindle. Something like a mini wooden stretcher made from the pallet/shipping materials could be carried down steps by two people.
Im just trying to figure out how to do the initial lift off of the machine.

If you plan to take my suggestion of using an appliance/hand cart, you could leave the headstock and bedways bolted to the pallet, strip everything else off the machine. Then cut down the pallet with a Saws-All, cover what’s left bolted to the pallet with a moving blanket, tilt it up on end (from the tailstock end), walk it onto the cart and strap it down onto the hand cart.

You might be better off calling in a piano moving crew. Moving a grand piano down stairs is something the do every day, and a 1340 lathe is essentially the same package weight and less tall so more maneuverable.

You might be better off calling in a piano moving crew. Moving a grand piano down stairs is something the do every day, and a 1340 lathe is essentially the same package weight and less tall so more maneuverable.
That's not a bad idea. We had a piano mover move in my wifes baby grand and it was very entertaining watching how they took something that big and safely moved it into our house and set it up. One of the movers even sat down at the piano afterward and started playing it. He was actually pretty good.

Update - I have been pulling pieces off and bringing them down to the basement. All that remains is the bed, head, and gear box.

The head has been drained and is loose, but I could not wheel it down before it got dark. I pulled off the electrical panel. I disconnected the forward and reverse wire from the box, and pulled all the other electronics from the lathe control panel, and motor.

2 bolts and the Norton will be off.

Then I will deal with the bed.

edit - I totally forgot one issue I had. I think I was trying to tap the shear pin out, and I think I tapped it in and it seized. I had to drill it out prior to removing the lead screw. I’ll have to machine a new one with the smallest taper when I get the machine back together prior to using any threading operations.

Last edited:
Update - I have been pulling pieces off and bringing them down to the basement. All that remains is the bed, head, and gear box.

The head has been drained and is loose, but I could not wheel it down before it got dark. I pulled off the electrical panel. I disconnected the forward and reverse wire from the box, and pulled all the other electronics from the lathe control panel, and motor.

2 bolts and the Norton will be off.

Then I will deal with the bed.

edit - I totally forgot one issue I had. I think I was trying to tap the shear pin out, and I think I tapped it in and it seized. I had to drill it out prior to removing the lead screw. I’ll have to machine a new one with the smallest taper when I get the machine back together prior to using any threading operations.
Now that you have it all disassembled, you could always strip and paint the machine like David Best did with his. You already did half the work.

Now that you have it all disassembled, you could always strip and paint the machine like David Best did with his. You already did half the work.
HA! David has the best looking PM1340GT I have seen, but Im taking this as an opportunity to clean everything, and re lubricate. Some of the gearing has what I think is too much grease., and the cosmoline is everywhere.

Painting is a chore...but I would consider it IF I had a good space for it. I do not. ;-p

Here is a look at clean vs. Dirty.

tempImagePLC5tH.jpg

The lead screw is a bugger to clean...but part cleaner and a brass brush os getting it done.
tempImage5BKXyF.jpg
tempImageujXOrv.jpg

Back