Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

So I’m thinking out how to best get this beast down the steps outside, and into the basement. Thinking I can break the machine down into several pieces.

It looks like I can remove the x and y together, and all I need to disconnect is an oil line. Thoughts?

also, thinking about removing the control box and motor for additional weight reduction.

latly, was thinking I can remove the head. Anyone have an idea as to how much the head weighs once liberated of its motor and control box?

Finally I can use a hand truck for the rest.

So I’m thinking out how to best get this beast down the steps outside, and into the basement. Thinking I can break the machine down into several pieces.

It looks like I can remove the x and y together, and all I need to disconnect is an oil line. Thoughts?

also, thinking about removing the control box and motor for additional weight reduction.

latly, was thinking I can remove the head. Anyone have an idea as to how much the head weighs once liberated of its motor and control box?

Finally I can use a hand truck for the rest.
Check out this thread!

So my mill shipped with a 4 Jaw chuck I was waiting for. Very stiff when I unboxed, so I took it apart. Not very pleased with this piece of kit. Pretty dirty, was not demurred at all, and 2 of the screws took quite a bit with a brass rod to get out. one of the jaw screws actually had a damaged thread from when I assume it was assembled. looks like someone used a non brass drift to pound the screw in, and hauled the end of the thread. The jaws are also not really fitting correctly and bind.

I am soaking the parts in cleaner for a bit, but the jaws I am not sure how those are going to work. Ill try to get a better picture of the jaw fit in the machined slot, but it is obvious to the eye that the slots were milled too tight in one dimension, and don't even touch in another. I am also planning on working on the chuck with some files to get some of the burrs out, but I have a feeling this chuck will always be tough to loosen and tighten.

I wish I had a parts washer for the main chuck body. Its filthy. Also, the handle that came with it for the screws WOULD be good, except for the fact that the 2 grub screws that are used to secure the handle in the "T" are useless as the threads were never put in, and now it is hardened. It was actually shearing the teeth when I tried to tap it. Useless.

Here is a picture of the gauged screw. Someone very obviously abused it during assembly. The next picture you can see how it scored the bore.

tempImagejFZAsC.jpg

tempImageKecp5g.jpg

Last edited:
Just have PM replace it... that does not look right...

I'm sure Matt will replace it. That certainly looks like defects originating at the factory.

I'm sure Matt will replace it. That certainly looks like defects originating at the factory.
I did some file work last night and today, and the jaws are sliding much better. I just put the chuck and other parts in the dishwasher to run a rinse and dry cycle, and plan on wiping it down with some light machine oil, and re-assembling with way oil. I THINK the only thing that needs to be replaced is the 1 screw that was damaged when it was installed. I do hope they are able to just source that part, instead of having to wait for an entire chuck, and then de-burr it just to get to run smooth. Amazing what a little work with a few files can do.

I did some file work last night and today, and the jaws are sliding much better. I just put the chuck and other parts in the dishwasher to run a rinse and dry cycle, and plan on wiping it down with some light machine oil, and re-assembling with way oil. I THINK the only thing that needs to be replaced is the 1 screw that was damaged when it was installed. I do hope they are able to just source that part, instead of having to wait for an entire chuck, and then de-burr it just to get to run smooth. Amazing what a little work with a few files can do.
So a sure fire way to make new iron look like old iron? Run it through the dishwasher!

Not for the feint of heart...but I like it!

Back