Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Sounds like one of the following:
  1. your indexable tool is either not at spindle axis height or loose in the tool post
  2. the insert is not properly installed, well seated, or doesn’t properly fit the toolholder (insert is upside down, wrong size for the toolholder, or the toolholder has a sloppy insert pocket)
  3. the compound/tool is flexing under load
  4. your depth of cut is too great
  5. you are stopping the spindle with the insert still engaged in the cut and not in a thread relief area.
Clearly something is amiss with your technique. If you want some help with this, DM me.

Before I got the process down it was a hodgepodge off all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you did that unsupported, without a tail stock? Wow, I'm impressed.

Lol that was just the after so I could test the educated quick nut. There was a live center in involved during the cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the final parts to do change my 3 axis milling DRO into a 4 --> 3 axis DRO. A summing box to sum the quill and head on the Z Axis and the needed cables are en-route from the UK. The plan is to remove the quill depth stop from the quill, and put the quill scale read head in the slot it leaves behind in the head, and then mount the scale so it moves with the quill. I will also them mount a new and better quill stop mechanism using a 1/2" 20 thread rod I made on my lathe, with a BP educated quick nut. Will be more precise, and a stronger quill stop than factory. I will be making a new plate for the head, and the quill column to mount verything on and through. The scale and read head are magnetic from DRO Pros, and comparable with Electronica DRO's. I have already tested the scales functionality with the PM MagExact MX200, and it works like a charm.

Wish me luck!

Finally got around to putting on a custom knob for my motor speed control. The lightbulb is motor speed, and the coolant is 2 stage braking on my machine.

tempImage8nyqLT.jpg

So project Quill summing DRO and educated nut quill stop is powering on. I have received the Quill scale and encoder, and was able to get the Z axis MagXact and the new encoder summing through the MDRO box. SUCCESS!!! Now that I have proved the concept that my z axis DRO will be the sum of column and quill, I think I have settled on making the encoder movable, and mounting the scale magnet side back to the machines faceplate. For the encoder, I Will either alter the factory quill stop rod, or fabricate a new one so the encoder can mount to the top of it like in the picture. Obviously it would be straighter than it is now just sitting on top. ;) The idea is when I re-install the cover, it would be sitting in the perfect position tp read the scale, mounted to the cover. I would make it so it is somewhat adjustable till I get the correct spacing.

The Quill stop and educated nut would be installed in the front of the cover, and for that I would need to fabricate a new spindle plate to bolt on where the factory and sits now, and a plate to mount to the casting of the head. The plate mounted to the head would be fixed to the head, and the other plat would mount the the quill, allowing a hard, and accurate stop to quill down feed. This is based on RIMSPOKEs post here. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-833t-educated-quill-stop.57843/

Looking forward to continuing the project!

tempImagecrWlgn.jpg

Secondly, I would love to rout the encoder cable through the casting hole in the back, so it is mostly hidden from view. The encoder and the plug is too big to pass through. Should I attempt to disassemble, or should I carbide burr the passthrough hole a tad bigger? I think 1/4" would let me slip the read head through.

Back