Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Did a little work on the scale. Now I need to fab a holder for the read head. I cut the opening for the factory quill stop taller, so I can get full range of quill motion for the read head and scale. Doing the final adjustments should not be tough, as I can dial everything with machining stand offs the exact thickness of the cover, and mount the scale on the standoffs without the cover to access the adjustments behind. I am thinking this will wait till I remove the spindle housing to install the new clamp on plate to hold the read head assembly (old quill stop) and a portion that stands off in front to hold the 1/2"20 rod for the educated nut. My spindle tach was actually working half the time today. Every time I start the machine, it is a 30/70 chance it will work. PM is aware and looking into a replacement board, but we are not sure which board it is. I replaced the wire with another ethernet cable, but nope. Not the cable.

tempImageos81VD.jpg

The scale was left a tad longer than I needed for quill travel so I could anchor both sides in the casting. If I have issues with the scale bowing after some time, I can fabricate some back supports spanning the cover, and fasten the scale at 2 points in the center, but I think this will be good enough and within recommended margin of errors by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I have also removed the spindle, to remove the quill stop plate and take some measurements. Got rid of some paint overspray while I had it apart.

556f7d220620dad313a8960a59e89e56.jpg

b9365fe567d6aef422a69f5ea9f1a2c6.jpg

ede414ec44fb649910f92b71fd594bbb.jpg

1d27a512b95aa021f8ec9b495af368a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa, an empty drawer to put parts in, shocking! I'm not going to show my over stuffed drawers and junk cake pan part catchers.

Got the RPM meter installed. Pic did not come out great due to the nature of the LCD refresh rate, but here she is. Screen installed on door of VFD enclosure.
M
What’s your impression of using the “buttons” on the MagXact MX-200M?
The manual says that the entire display is touch sensitive and I’ve read of others having a preference for actual buttons instead of a touchscreen. How have you found using touch buttons?

What’s your overall impression of the MagXact MX-200M?

The manual says that the entire display is touch sensitive and I’ve read of others having a preference for actual buttons instead of a touchscreen. How have you found using touch buttons?

Be back to answer this later.

Test fit the bottom plate. Need to do some filing, rounding corners, and bluing of parts. The upper plate that te educated nut will sit on is next.

775e845347839586dd7068e4e3b64233.jpg

b45b3c4e2fbe7a5946896d5797dc87e5.jpg

ee4a4f70d7fafdbc4306af4cde0eec77.jpg

OK.

So far the touch buttons have been fine. I have not removed the protective plastic covers on the screens yet, but the touch works fine through it.

Buttons are more tactile, for sure, and the only areas of the screen are the buttons themselves from what I have seen, so actual buttons would have worked fine. I do not think the display itself is actually touch sensitive at all.

To date, I have not had to use any feature on the 200 that is not available on the 100. If I had to do it all over again, I MAY just go with the cheaper DRO. From what I can tell with my limited use, is the only real difference is the pictures you can follow for bolt holes, etc. There is one problem with the 200's and that is it is not reading feed speed correctly. It is off by a factor of 3 times what the value should be, give or take. PM has been working on this issue with their vendor, but the first attempt to re-flash the firmware wound up bricking their test DRO...so they are back to the drawing board. I am not sure if the MX-100 has the same issue.

…So far the touch buttons have been fine….

…There is one problem with the 200's and that is it is not reading feed speed correctly. It is off by a factor of 3 times what the value should be, give or take.…
Thanks for your impression of the MX-200!

I‘ve put in a order for a PM-833TV with one of those since I found that:
- Each touch button has a light.
- A beep function can be enabled to give audio feedback of a button press.

Interesting there is a software problem with the feed rate. I wonder if the equivalent from DROpro’s has the same issue (their Electronica EL 700)

By the way, DROpro’s has a video series on the functionality of the EL 700:

Made some progress on my DRO/Educated Quick Nut Quill Stop project today.

Next I need to fabricate the block that the educated nut hits to stop, and a bracket to fasten the read head to the top of the old quill stop with some adjustability for the encoder. Last some hand work on the parts, and I THINK I am going to just blue and oil the parts so I don't have to match paint...and so it does not chip.

Progress!

tempImageoDlv4G.jpg

tempImagevY3EKA.jpg

Back