Another paint question -Hammertone

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For those folks who have used any of the hammer tone or 'wrinkle' finish paints on machinery, how does it hold up? I'm wondering if they are resistant to oils and solvents that might be used around machines like a mill or lathe. I have an upcoming milling machine refurb and wondering about the paint. I'm hoping for something a little different from gray/grey.

I only use this paint on my bench vises and it holds up really well. However, no exposure to big hot chips or oil so not sure how it would hold up on a machine tool. Sherwin Wms used to sell it. Might give them a call.

I have done a lot of painting with Hammerite, both from rattlecan and from a paint gun. This includes prep, wipe-down with solvent, primer, and paint, all at temperatures above 70F. While the parts sure look nice when they're done, I have been frustrated by chipping and scrapes. Maybe it's the over-the-counter formulation, or maybe the glass particles in the paint start looking good before the paint is thick enough to be durable. Whatever it is, if I just look at the parts they scratch.

Wrinkle paint is a completely different beast. It's tough. To get the right finish, you need to bake the parts in an oven. I've used a heat gun with good results. Nevertheless, it is a challenge to get an even, uniform finish with wrinkle paint. It is best to practice beforehand. Can really look nice when done right. Won't scratch!

My favorite paint for bare steel or iron is engine enamel, cured with a heat gun. That stuff makes a thick coat that is hard and durable. I painted a lathe headstock with it and was pleased with the result. I've also painted engines with it, of course. It's tough enough for tools.

A wrinkle finish on a machine tool would be so hard to keep clean.

The oil and grime would be craze difficult to get out of the wrinkles.

What ever the visual appearance, the finish should be smooth to facilitate simple wipe down.

The "traditional" paint is alkyd enamel with hardener. You could do a two-tone or maybe add some SS racing stripes so it's not so grey. Powermatic used to do stripes that looked nice. I know you want to do a VW-inspired mural with a peace sign on the head. Flames and leopard prints, maybe?

I've used hammer tone paints before but never on something big like a machine & have only used it from a rattle can. I find that ambient temperature is important. If too cold I didn't get the wrinkling effect.

I've never personally seen a lathe painted in hammer tone but what came to mind is Keith Fenner. He painted his Rutland lathe with hammer tone out of a can with brushes & rollers. Hammer tone would not be my choice for a machine but again I've never seen it in person. The finer wrinkle finish commonly used on automotive parts would definitely not be my choice for a machine, the more subtle hammer tone, maybe.

Image1.jpgImage2.jpg

The base for my G0704 mill is hammer tone paint. And on a rough casting hammer tone paint smooths it out some

Back