Another PM-935 question/parts removal issue

jaychris

Active User
Registered
The dog screw in the spindle is too large; I'm not able to insert R8 shafts. The recommendation was to back it off/modify it, or just remove it altogether. Which is fine, except you have to remove the spindle end cap, which apparently will take nothing short of an act of God.

I removed the grub screw from the back of the spindle - I'm told the thread is a left-hand thread. I first tried by hand; yeah, that's not happening. I tried a strap wrench; no go. I tried a chain wrench; nothing. I *made* a pin wrench to use with the pin holes on the bottom of the end cap; all I did was bend some pins.

I'm looking for suggestions at this point while I take a break, because my next plan is to to drill a hole or weld a pin on, tie it to the bumper of my truck, and jerk that m@$^@$^%$314'er off. Either that or the torch is coming out.

Last edited:
After taking a break, I decided to go back and try a steel oil filter wrench that I had on that, that seemed to fit pretty well. It took a good deal of effort to break loose, but I managed to get it in the end, though not without some cosmetic damage to the end cap.

I'd definitely take a break and find your happy place - there should be no reason for heavy artillery on this one. The threads are left-handed, but that cap should not be on there so tight you need much force. I say this because I wasn't warned about the set screw (and apparently not smart enough to consider the possibility of one), and I turned the collar off without backing it out. Of course the threads were ruined, but it wasn't very hard to do. (Props to Matt for getting the factory to ship me a replacement no charge.)

I simply made a wrench that essentially looks like a lower case "y" and used 1/4-20 or maybe 12-24 bolts (whatever I had on hand that fit) to engage with the holes. Nothing came close to bending.

When you get in there, you need to remove the set screw prior to making the adjustment of the offending screw. Also be careful when you reassemble things. Turning the collar or even the set screw too tight will affect how well the spindle turns and the quill retracts.

-Ryan

My cap came off with a cheapo Lowes strap wrench. I adjusted mine yesterday. It didn't take a whole lot of effort. Make sure you are really turning in the right direction. Facing downward it is counter clockwise.

-Joe

Back