ANOTHER TABLESAW KICKBACK-GRAPHIC

It goes to show how quickly and simply a serious accident can happen, We can all walk int a serious accident usually in a nano second of lack of attention, But here we have a craftsman with 30 years of experience getting badly hurt in spite of taking every precaution, Just pure bad luck, woodworking machinery is very unforgiving. I am most saddened to learn of your accident.

Saw stop would help but has too many problems with wet lumber and the expense of replacement parts for a false trip.
Sorry to see what happened. Good luck with the re-hab.

I never view view these types of threads. I'm glad you put the warning in the title though.

Very sorry to hear about this aweful injury. Hope you recover quickly & well.

Thank you all for the kind words. I know a number of guys in various trades with missing index fingers. After training their middle finger to take it's place it doesn't seem to slow them down much. I've still got some work ahead of me but I think I'll get enough function from my remaining fingers to keep doing the things I love. (machining, RC planes, gunsmithing, hunting)

Saw stop would help but has too many problems with wet lumber and the expense of replacement parts for a false trip.
Sorry to see what happened. Good luck with the re-hab.
I does not have problems with wet lumber, you just turn off the sensor while cutting wet lumber. If you forget, well, you lose.

Ouch!
Good call on switching hospitals......hard to understand why the first one couldn't just admit it was too much for them and recommend the second.

The skin on the others has healed nicely.
Best of luck with the nerves and muscles.

Thanks for sharing your misfortune.
Hopefully it's a cautionary tale for others.

-brino

Ouch!
Good call on switching hospitals......hard to understand why the first one couldn't just admit it was too much for them and recommend the second.

The skin on the others has healed nicely.
Best of luck with the nerves and muscles.

Thanks for sharing your misfortune.
Hopefully it's a cautionary tale for others.

-brino
The first hospital was honest with me but their hand surgeon was not a micro surgeon. They assisted me in hooking up with the doc that eventually saved my fingers.

Good luck, and here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.

No guards or fast stop will ever save from these kinds of accidents , I grew up working with every power tool associated with wood. From the first time I ever used a table saw, you can't be to careful , cutting boards without finger boards for pressure down and towards the fence. Push sticks are great but the foam pads work well also. I'm sorry your hands messed up and glad your on the mend. After I got to the point of not being able to stand I put my saw away , finally selling a prized machine, I built lots of furniture and special order church items. I enjoyed my years of cabinet building . I'll be praying for recovery and the therapy.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, and a huge thank you for the posting, I know I for one can always use a "wake up" call.

Back