Another thread on a new mill purchase

That is awesome. I know, I really thought hard about that one and the power feeds. For the price, it seems like an awesome mill. I like Silverbullet's post about buying the best I can than add the doo-dads as I go.
Yea the next big purchase will probably be a good dro

I am looking at doing a BluDRO on my lathe. Not sure if you are interested in that type of system but quite a bit cheaper than "off the shelf" DRO's.

Check out Blue-DRO

Also THIS LINKfor the founder of the above mentioned DRO. I don't have any affiliation with these guys, just thought their system was pretty cool.

I am looking at doing a BluDRO on my lathe. Not sure if you are interested in that type of system but quite a bit cheaper than "off the shelf" DRO's.

Check out Blue-DRO

Also THIS LINKfor the founder of the above mentioned DRO. I don't have any affiliation with these guys, just thought their system was pretty cool.
Add up the costs and the extra hoops you have to jump through for the BluDRO, and then look at a complete and ready to install 3 axis mill DRO, .0002" resolution glass scales, free UPS shipping, plug and play, for $228. While I really like Yuriy's design and the entire concept of it, and I know it works well, plug and play for cheap won the day. Still, Yuriy's design is becoming more mainstream all the time, and I wish it very good luck.

The $228 DRO that you are referring to Bob, is that the AccuRemote that you are referring to or the iGauging type of systems? When I made my comment about the BluDRO being cheaper, I was thinking more along the lines of the $700 systems that you see quite often, like the ones from DRO Pros, not that there is anything wrong with them at all of course.

The $228 DRO that you are referring to Bob, is that the AccuRemote that you are referring to or the iGauging type of systems? When I made my comment about the BluDRO being cheaper, I was thinking more along the lines of the $700 systems that you see quite often, like the ones from DRO Pros, not that there is anything wrong with them at all of course.
I just got my system about a week ago, now putting together the plan for installing it. It is a Chinese Siton three axis DRO with glass scales, and that price includes the shipping via UPS. Paid for by PayPal. No worries at all about the order, came as scheduled and the boxes were pristine on arrival. Might as well had come from a USA seller, seamless. If you do some studying, you will find that glass scales have higher resolution (.0002" standard, .00004" for $18 per scale more) than the AccuRemote and iGaging types. The cables are metal clad, the connectors are metal and screwed to the scales and readout, and there is no inaccuracy accumulation with length of travel. The kit comes with the installation hardware and protective covers for the scales. The scales are custom made for each order, in any specified length up to 3000 mm, in 1 mm increments. You get the exact length you want. Slim scales may be substituted for any and/or all axes for the same price. There are other options as well:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fre...dout-with-3-pcs-linear-scales/1524501216.html the current price is $234.60 delivered. I got mine on sale.
The seller, Wilson, has a good command of English and is helpful. The manual is in readable English. Three (four?) friends all ordered these (separately) at the same time, without any issues.
DROPros will sell you similar Chinese stuff for a lot more money, it will ship from Vacaville, California, and they will hold your hand and answer the phone in English and help you. Study, compare, and make your own decisions...

Last edited:
I just got my system about a week ago, now putting together the plan for installing it. It is a Chinese Siton three axis DRO with glass scales, and that price includes the shipping via UPS. Paid for by PayPal. No worries at all about the order, came as scheduled and the boxes were pristine on arrival. Might as well had come from a USA seller, seamless. If you do some studying, you will find that glass scales have higher resolution (.0002" standard, .00004" for $18 per scale more) than the AccuRemote and iGaging types. The cables are metal clad, the connectors are metal and screwed to the scales and readout, and there is no inaccuracy accumulation with length of travel. The kit comes with the installation hardware and protective covers for the scales. The scales are custom made for each order, in any specified length up to 3000 mm, in 1 mm increments. You get the exact length you want. Slim scales may be substituted for any and/or all axes for the same price. There are other options as well:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fre...dout-with-3-pcs-linear-scales/1524501216.html the current price is $234.60 delivered. I got mine on sale.
The seller, Wilson, has a good command of English and is helpful. The manual is in readable English. Three (four?) friends all ordered these (separately) at the same time, without any issues.
DROPros will sell you similar Chinese stuff for a lot more money, it will ship from Vacaville, California, and they will hold your hand and answer the phone in English and help you. Study, compare, and make your own decisions...
Bob,
That's quite the review and endorsement! I was leaning toward DROPros based on their ease of installation and use, support and the ability to trim the magnetic scales to length. If I can get comparable performance for a 1/3 the price, what's not to like?

How easy is Siton's user interface to use? Supposedly DROPro's UI is very intuitive and easy to use.
Evan

If I can get comparable performance for a 1/3 the price, what's not to like?

How easy is Siton's user interface to use? Supposedly DROPro's UI is very intuitive and easy to use.
Evan
Well, Evan, I have not had a chance to use the interface yet. Per the manual it does all I want it to and way more, though no experience with it at all yet. Plenty of bells and whistles.

The downsides I have seen so far are:
1. While the user manual appears useful, there is no installation manual included at all. The site states that an installation video is available on request. I do not think I need it, so far. YMMV.
2. The brackets and other hardware supplied are minimal, and will no doubt need to be supplemented to complete the installation. That was no surprise, every installation is different. I will need to come up with some additional stuff for brackets and so forth.

That is all I have found so far that might be described as wanting, but I have not drilled any holes yet, and am not even close to cutting metal with it. The display and the scales work, the readout is bright and easy to read, and that is all I really know for sure so far.

Bob,
That's quite the review and endorsement! I was leaning toward DROPros based on their ease of installation and use, support and the ability to trim the magnetic scales to length. If I can get comparable performance for a 1/3 the price, what's not to like?

Evan

I have DroPro magnetics on both my lathe and mill. Seemed kinda silly to go cheap on a DRO setup after spending the extra money to buy higher quality machines. But that's just me. I'm weird. ;)

I have the EL700 on my mill, and yea it's quite pricy, but so was my PM935. I even managed to get the electronic touch probe by doing a bit of trading with a friend. I love all the extra functions, and having a display that shows pretty pics is a big help to a visually oriented guy like myself.

Yesterday I finally got around to checking/adjusting the electronic touch probe, and it did get out of wack during the move from CO to AZ. After adjusting (that part is a pain...) I check it with a small bore of known ID and the touch probe repeated to within a half thou every time. Plenty good enough for what I do. :D

Being able to cut the mag scales to length was also a high priority for me, as is the customer service reputation. I've only had to call a few times over the course of owning 4 of their systems, and the guys have always come through for me.

I think of them like I do Matt at PM.

I have DroPro magnetics on both my lathe and mill. Seemed kinda silly to go cheap on a DRO setup after spending the extra money to buy higher quality machines. But that's just me. I'm weird. ;)
Well, I am on the other side of the coin, Bill, so tight I squeak. I save money everywhere possible, which occasionally turns sour, but in the long run pays off handsomely.
I always try to get the very best deals I can. My 1965 Millrite mill was bought in new, unused, but dirty condition (zero rust, not a single light scratch on the table) a few years ago for $1000. My 13x40 Kent USA lathe was bought with literally only a few minutes use on it (no kidding!) for $3000. I have made lots of unbelievable deals on tooling. I do not brag about how much I spent for something, rather about how little I paid for good stuff. I invest some time in them to bring them to my standards, which are fairly high. This strategy has been very good to me long term. Different strokes for different folks...

Right now I am doing very well with using all my machines manually, no aids beyond the machine dials. I will be completely content with watching the accurate displays of axis travel and simple zeroing with the DRO. That will likely be 99.9% of the usage the DRO will get. The "gee whiz" stuff might get the rest. In fact I will probably be annoyed with the DRO at first, all those numbers flashing by and confusing me... :eek: That has been my experience with DROs so far, hoping it gets better.

Well, I am on the other side of the coin, Bill, so tight I squeak. I save money everywhere possible, which occasionally turns sour, but in the long run pays off handsomely.
I always try to get the very best deals I can. My 1965 Millrite mill was bought in new, unused, but dirty condition (zero rust, not a single light scratch on the table) a few years ago for $1000. My 13x40 Kent USA lathe was bought with literally only a few minutes use on it (no kidding!) for $3000. I have made lots of unbelievable deals on tooling. I do not brag about how much I spent for something, rather about how little I paid for good stuff. I invest some time in them to bring them to my standards, which are fairly high. This strategy has been very good to me long term. Different strokes for different folks...

Right now I am doing very well with using all my machines manually, no aids beyond the machine dials. I will be completely content with watching the accurate displays of axis travel and simple zeroing with the DRO. That will likely be 99.9% of the usage the DRO will get. The "gee whiz" stuff might get the rest. In fact I will probably be annoyed with the DRO at first, all those numbers flashing by and confusing me... :eek: That has been my experience with DROs so far, hoping it gets better.

Given recent lifestyle changes, you'd have to hit me with a 20lb. sledge to get me to move far enough to squeak! ;)

I was still gainfully employed when I bought my machines and their accessories. I certainly couldn't do it now! If I didn't have the DROs I have now, I'd have to cobble together a few long travel dial indicators for my positional monitoring requirements on the lathe and mill. With any luck, the stuff I have now will continue to function until I no longer need them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :)

Last edited:
Back