Another Toe Jack

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Last night, I came up from the shop for a break and found that Paul (Old Iron) had posted a toe jack build. I was taking the break from building a toe jack. Within the next few weeks, I need to head over some mountains and pick up the Victoria U2 mill I bought recently. It's mounted on a couple of 6" I-beams, so I don't need to jack it up for the forklift at either end of the drive. The fun will come after it gets set down on the slab outside the back door.

We'll need to ease it down off the I-beams and onto rollers, like you see in Paul's photo. I can do that with shims and a pry bar, but I'm bored waiting to get the mill. I needed a long-weekend project, so here it is.

Paul's slotted design is better than this approach, but this should work if used carefully. Rather than weld the toe on, I wanted the strength of a formed corner, so I cut and welded two pieces of 3/8" thick angle to make the lifting bracket.
P5200026a.jpg

The guide column is just a piece of 3" angle, which also acts to capture the bottle jack along two sides. The aluminum pillow block was made using a boring head on the mill/drill. Held in place with a pair of flat-head screws.
P5210033a.jpg

The lifting bracket is completed by welding two sides on and drilling for the top screw of the jack. The box was sized for a loose fit over the column.
P5210029a.jpg

A 3/8" base plate holds it all together. Total lift with a 2 ton jack is 5 1/8". I would hesitate to work with the jack that high up, though. Too much side pull on the shaft.
P5210032a.jpg

P5200026a.jpg P5210029a.jpg P5210033a.jpg P5210032a.jpg

Mike yours looks a lot easier than mine! I don't know how long the toes are on yours but thats where I ran into trouble. Mine were only about 2 1/4" long I had to add 2" to it to keep it from tilting forward.

I just cut a piece 4" long cut a notch on each side and welded it in place. I then razed the mill about 4" worked great.

Paul

Great Paul, but your pictures didn't come thru!!
Nice toejack build, Mike.

Paul, the toes on mine aren't any longer than yours were. I won't need this at the pick-up point, so it can be fairly easy to weld an extra plate across the front if I need it. I don't have anything here that's nearly as heavy as the mill, so I won't know until I'm moving the beast into the shop. It lifted the heavy end of my big bandsaw quite easily.

If I was designing a serious toe jack, it would be about 2 feet long, with a pivot point at the tail end, a few inches off the floor. The jack would be under the upper arm, close to the lifting bracket. By extending the tail of the jack away from the working area, it should be possible to make it more stable. A small table over the pivot would allow a bit of weight to be set there for added insurance. This would also take any side pull off the bottle jack shaft.

It mite do fine on your mill I don't know how heavy yours is my Horizontal weights 4300 pounds that mite be the reason mine tilted. Most of my machines are heavy weight one is more than 5000 lbs.

Paul

Be sure and post the build on the other one if-n you do build it.

That looks like a handy tool to have!
Nice job Mike, thanks for sharing.:cool:

Back