Another too good to be true item??

Another very strange twist to my case, I got refunded twice. Now, on phone with ebay to resolve it.

Got a notice from ebay that my money had been refunded to my pay pal account for the first 10hp VFD I ordered. Checked, and no refund deposit. Called today and was told by the bot that the seller has appealed, and I have to wait for their decision. Today I got the one I ordered from amazon for $202.00, will be trying it out first on a 3hp, 3 phase, Quincy compressor I recently picked up. If that goes well, will try it on my big lathe. Mike

Another very strange twist to my case, I got refunded twice. Now, on phone with ebay to resolve it.

I wouldn't waste to much time on that. Any time that has happened to me they have figured it out and corrected it all on their own.
They are much better at correcting those mistakes than they are correcting the ones where it's in their favor.

Well, mine got refunded last week, eBay couldn't find any tracking info once it was shipped. Not the same vendor as the ones listed here, so it must have been a widespread problem. Now it shows up in my "feedback" column as delivered June 1(July 1??). Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, Over?

In any case, I did have a couple of others with long delivery times and free shipping, that's what I watch. A carbide router bit, a fancy one, for a couple-three bux, delivered? Not a chance, but I tried it, and lo and behold, it showed up last night. So, I'm pleased there. One for two on questionable buys, that ain't too shabby, all things considered.

5 HP VFD $17.99

Interesting, Feedback of 64, all positive. All but 4 under 40 feedback themselves. So a new seller, mainly selling to new buyers. And all sales but 1, in Hong Kong Dollars, so most likely local buyers.

These are all similar scenarios. I still do not buy that the accout gets hacked. My money is on the seller being a scumbag. They have to be making something out of all the effort they put into these scams, or they would have stopped a long time ago. I just do not see whay E-bay is not catching them sooner.

I think eBays only recourse is to have people flag the scams for them. How can ebay possibly differentiate a great deal from a scam? Yes they could compare each item to similar items and expect a similar price. But that would also stop anyone from listing something real cheap just to get rid of it.

In the grand scheme I think that the actual number of scams vs real sellers is so big that they are still making a lot of money and can absorb the loss as a cost of doing business.

I think these scammers put up these created accounts, sell a bunch of stuff real cheap, and then clean out and close the payment account real fast before ebay can yank the funds back. this leave ebay holding the bag and the scum make a quick bundle.

I would bet that ebay has people working on solutins non stop, every time ebay figures out how to control one scam the scammers come up with a new one. A given scam probably has to hit a loss threshold before they start putting people on it.

Back