Another too good to be true item??

How does the scammer make money here? I only sold one thing on eBay, but I did not get paid until the buyer got delivery, as I recall. These guys can get around that some way?
From PayPal, at least, the seller's account is credited and mine debited almost immediately.

I bought into the small boring head fiasco and got Mine. The one with the misprinted dial that does not matter for My application. I bought into the small lathe chuck deal and had the order cancelled with feedback not working, got My money back. I just bought into this dividing head deal and time will tell.

I bought into the small boring head fiasco and got Mine. The one with the misprinted dial that does not matter for My application. I bought into the small lathe chuck deal and had the order cancelled with feedback not working, got My money back. I just bought into this dividing head deal and time will tell.

Not sure if it was the same one but the boring head deal many of us bought for $25 was not a fiasco. The seller was Industry Recycles which is a reputable ebay seller. Been around for a while and that's all they sell, surplus items from liquidations. Sometimes their deals are awesome, sometimes not.

The lathe chuck was too good to be true & a waste of time that I didn't bother with, just like this one.

How does the scammer make money here? I only sold one thing on eBay, but I did not get paid until the buyer got delivery, as I recall. These guys can get around that some way?

Interesting, I have never heard of getting paid after delivery. I have been buying & selling on ebay since 2003, it has always been "don't ship until you get paid" for as long as I remember.

Back then the window to file a Paypal dispute was only 60 days & ebay did not offer a money back guarantee. This type of scam has been around for a long time, sellers sell what they don't have in hopes of the buyer missing the window for a dispute. Now that the Paypal dispute window is 180 days & ebay offers money back guarantee (even for sellers who don't offer returns) it's much harder but people still try to get away with this scam these days.

Interesting, I have never heard of getting paid after delivery. I have been buying & selling on ebay since 2003, it has always been "don't ship until you get paid" for as long as I remember.

Back then the window to file a Paypal dispute was only 60 days & ebay did not off a money back guarantee. This type of scam has been around for a long time, sellers sell what they don't have in hopes of the buyer missing the window for a dispute. Now that the Paypal dispute window is 180 days & ebay offers money back guarantee (even for sellers who don't offer returns) itxs much harder but people still try do get away with this scam these days.
Could they perhaps be just getting paid then pulling their money out of PayPal, then removing their bank account? It would seem that if you can get a few grand in sales that this would make sense.

Victim ends up being either PayPal or eBay, whoever gets caught holding the bag. If it's eBay, at least they have an incentive to fix it...

Could they perhaps be just getting paid then pulling their money out of PayPal, then removing their bank account? It would seem that if you can get a few grand in sales that this would make sense.

Victim ends up being either PayPal or eBay, whoever gets caught holding the bag. If it's eBay, at least they have an incentive to fix it...

Yes, that was very common in the past. All that resulted was a ban from ebay & paypal but there are ways around that. But these days I hear Paypal can still get the money back even after transfered into a bank account unless that bank account is withdrawn & closed. Not sure of the truth in that though.

Yes, that was very common in the past. All that resulted was a ban from ebay & paypal but there are ways around that. But these days I hear Paypal can still get the money back even after transfered into a bank account unless that bank account is withdrawn & closed. Not sure of the truth in that though.
Presumably if they are making enough money on each, they could have a way of getting many free bank accounts to make it work. That way they can withdraw/close the account easy enough.

Presumably if they are making enough money on each, they could have a way of getting many free bank accounts to make it work. That way they can withdraw/close the account easy enough.

Perhaps but you will still get your money back from ebay. What happens between ebay & the seller no idea. As I mentioned this scam still goes on today but the few times I have experienced it were from sellers with an actual selling history that cared about their account still being active. Once a claim was filed the money was immediately returned by seller.

Back