Another too good to be true item??

Not surprised, just not much happening while the packages are in transit. I'm just hangin' out 'til I can file for a refund tomorrow. Been watching the tracking info, curious to see what the package actually contains.

I don't believe the scammer will actually get anything out of their efforts?!?!?!? My best guess is that ebay will be the ones that might end up with the buyers money if they shut down a scammer and the buyer does not file a claim??????

Ebay is very closed and secretive about how they actually work and what they do about scammers. I am very curious about what they do when they do find an obvious scammer seller!?!?!?! I have dealt with Ebay enough to know that all they really care about is collecting their cut! I am very interested to know if the other dividing head purchasers are contacted by ebay and offered a refund? (I really doubt they will be!)

As a programmer I know a routine to search for sellers that fit the profile of this scammer would be easy to implement... but they don't? I was easily able to find 4 additional scammer sellers by searching for other sellers that had the same product at the same ridiculously low price and all their feed back is based on sub $1 purchases. To me this is a research project about how ebay actually does work... something I couldn't do without the feedback from the others on this board that also hit the buy button.

My hunch is that the scammers aren't really the root of the problem. I purpose that the real problem is that ebay enables these scammers and takes their cut of the profit!
I would really be interested to know the truth. On the surface it doesn't make sense that the scammer would get anything unless there are more people than we know that have no clue they can get their $$ back and go, oh well, it was only $46. Every once in a while I get a tech audio book, like the Kingpin, or the guy who started the black market on the dark net and a couple of others. And truthfully they scare me more than a horror book. It's not my forte so I'm always astounded by this world I know nothing about.

reminds me of a guy selling a vintage motorbike,with a some parts stolen by a repairer who disappeared.(not all scams are on the flea)......anyhoo ,he is sending mucho dinero to a lot of guys called Joseph John,or John Joseph,etc......one of the replies to his ad......."we have just recieved a shipment of these parts and they are selling quickly"............really...a shipment of 1916 Indian parts?.......how dumb would you be ....or desperate..............but in the early days of the flea,I bought masses of vintage bike bits for peanuts,and made a fortune just by identifying them correctly,when the vendors didnt have a clue.

No tracking update on mine since 6/20. Refund requested, eBay will step in on 6/29.

Question. I am one who also got on this deal and have been watching this thread. I called EBAY and they said you get 30 days for a refund-AFTER it is showed "delivered". Since its past the "auction page" delivery date, a case can be filed already if wanted. They also said that paypal has a 90 day refund, AFTER it is showed "delivered". So in that case, fraud or not, it certainly seems like getting a refund should be no real problem other than wasting time. I havent dealt with any scams on ebay so this is all new to me. Of course I had purchased before the "Scam talk" showed up in this thread or I may have thought about it a little harder. Any thoughts on what I was told from ebay's customer service call?

Online Auctions: Personal Rule #1
For new tool items [and most things] at auction sites. If there are dozens of sellers with identical picture and text of item, they will not be my choice of seller. Most of them are busy copying/ pasting. If one demonstrates initiative and product knowledge, that's a good indication.
Other details seem to pop up with certain goods; size, weight, if it is not as mass produced, "last one", or situation out of ordinary.

If they combine shipping that's ok, I'm more comfortable when they surcharge a little for bigger stuff. I take that meaning they have margin to operate in. Free [as if anybody believes THAT any more] shipping would have to be pretty small to get that back out from their selling price.

I am in process of send it or refund myself, waiting till the 29th for action and communication from the
seller or asking E-Bay to step in and make it right.............. We shall see for certain if it's :bs:....................:grin:

On the few occasions when I've had a deal go wrong, eBay has acted quite quickly. I've received my refund much sooner than expected.

Back