Another Tool & Cutter Grinder

At the front of the base of the fixture, because it is aluminum, a small extension of the base out and under the dial would dampen any vibration just a bit more. Maybe not? Just an idea.

"Billy G"

At the front of the base of the fixture, because it is aluminum, a small extension of the base out and under the dial would dampen any vibration just a bit more. Maybe not? Just an idea.

"Billy G"
there will be a 5" X 4" base that the fixture bolts down to and that base bolts to the table with two T nuts. If you mean this new fixture.

It is amazing how tough this good quality aluminum is. I looked at a new one of these fixtures on line. It was $250 and made of "aluminum" and cast at that. That was when I decided to mak mine for a mere$25 worth of high grade aluminum

I also left more "meat" on the rear of mine where the 45 degree angle is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fixture in post #109. You don't have a lot of beef where it transitions to a circle. The extended base would dampen better there. Your base will work also, it's just not an integral pare.

"Billy G"

This is the fixture without the vise on top. I was thinking of using the 3/8" plate for a base. The only other thing I have is 1" thick. There is 50% support by the 45 degree angle and the rest is .750" thick. It seems pretty solid. It is heavier than the one I was looking to buy. I think it will be ok , it doesn't get a heavy load.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It is amazing how tough this good quality aluminum is. I looked at a new one of these fixtures on line. It was $250 and made of "aluminum" and cast at that. That was when I decided to mak mine for a mere$25 worth of high grade aluminum.

I was looking up the properties of this 'Fortal' grade aluminum I bought and it is stronger than many mild steels. Good stuff. :)

OK now I see what you did. That will work just fine Mark. I use "Fortal" whenever I can.

"Billy G"

I finished the main part of the grinding vise. Tomorrow I will make the vise part. I am really pleased with how this came out.
grinding vise.jpg
grinding vise2.jpg
grinding vise3.jpg It mounts to the table with a 1/2-20 bolt and T nut. I put the 3/8" plate sandwiched between the vise and the table The plate is not really needed but for some reason , it makes me feel better. This is where and how the vise will mount to use it. Besides the vise , I intend to make a simple work head that will replace the vise and use 5C collets. This unit is really solid. I don't think there will be any problems with flexing or vibration.

After the vise, I need to make a height gage for setting the motor spindle height to match the air bearing spindle . Many grinders use a fixed rod with a small flat plate on top and mounted in a base to set on the table. A better one is tow short 1/2" or larger shafts with a half flat ground on one end. one is put in a collet on the air bearing and the other slips on or in the motor shaft. when the flats fit together perfectly, the center height is the same. I don't know which way to go. either is good. Any other suggestions?

Having a tool and cutter grinder is a handy thing in the shop, but I have found the grinder is nice but you must have an array of fixtures to hold the work to grind. I knew this but when I built my other grinder, it really became reality because I had to make a fixture to grind anything. So, I am trying to make several needed fixtures while building this grinder.
I made the vise today for the grinder. It was made from a 4" diameter round piece of steel. I turned the bottom and engraved the degree scale, drilled and tapped the mounting hole, and milled the sides and center.
grinding vise 4.jpg
grinding vise 5.jpg I still have to drill and tap the three holes for the clamp bolts. I also made a .750 X 3 X .250 plate to go between the bolts and the clamped object. I am very pleased with this fixture. It cost about $30 for the material and a little more than two afternoons to make. ( certainly a lot more affordable than $200 to $300 to buy one.)
I would like to make a collet holder to replace the vise on this fixture for more flexibility with the machine.

Back