Another Tool & Cutter Grinder

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I said a couple weeks ago I was going to start another tool and cutter grinder. Well , it is starting now. This was idea was started by myself and a friend of mine discussing tool sharpening. We came up with the idea to build a tool and cutter grinder that is much simpler to build than a Quorn or Bonnelle. I designed a base plan that is somewhat of a clone of a Cuttermaster. I am going to take features from the Cuttermaster and some from the Bonnelle and atemp to build a T&C grinder that is easier to build, easier to use, and still have all the needed versatility and high accuracy.
The idea centers around an X Y table , this one was made by Phase II. The table I was given is fairly new and tight but has laid around and got pretty rusty. I dismantled the table and have begun cleaning it up.
table1.jpg
The comlete table was as rusty as the T slots in this photo. I stoned the rust off the top and scraped the table surface to get a clean FLAT table top.
table2.jpg
The table top is finished and next will be to wire brush the slots clean and then clean up the rest of the parts and reassemble the table.
I am gathering materials to begin construction of the grinder. All the details are not ironed out yet. This build will most likely be a lot slower than the Bonnelle build was because my shop time is limited due to health. If all goes well, this grinder will be much easier to build, easier to operate, and maybe less expensive than a Bonnelle. The XY table will be the center piece of the grinder.

Ok, here we go. As I haven't yet started on my grinder, I will wait to see how this one comes out because I too have looked at the Cuttermaster and appreciate it's design/style. With all of these current projects going on, I have lots of things to follow and several bowls of popcorn going... :D

Ok, here we go. As I haven't yet started on my grinder, I will wait to see how this one comes out because I too have looked at the Cuttermaster and appreciate it's design/style. With all of these current projects going on, I have lots of things to follow and several bowls of popcorn going... :D

I Think you will like this design better than the Bonnelle. The Bonelle is a work of art But way over engineered. It is a fine machine but very difficult compared to the Cuttermaster. I will be incorporating a few features into this design but keeping it as simple as possible. After studying the Cuttermaster, I find they have two designs. One has a column with the grind head able to go up and down. the other it only tilts. To make it go up and down is a lot more complex and really , I find it is not necessary for sharpening end mills, drills or lathe tools. However, it is necessary to be able to sharpen slitting saws and milling cutters that go on an arbor. For that reason, I am not decided on which to do here. I have considered just loosening the clamps on the Bonelle column and sliding the complete assembly up and off and sliding it on a new column on the new grinder. Doing this would make an awesome machine. If I do that, I then have a complete Bonnelle base that is wasted. I probably could sell it and recoup a few dollars. the other option is to build another complete grind head. These decisions are still up in the air. I do believe once this new grinder is finished , the Bonnelle will fall by the wayside and be un-needed. This new grinder will also make my precision drill sharpener obsolete as it will do the same job with a simple attachment that will mount on the table. So in short, I will be combining 3 machines into one, simplifying it and making it easier to set up and use. this sounds so perfect it frightens me :D, but we will see how it goes.

Hi
Sounds great to me, & good luck with your health, it gets harder as we get older. :eagerness:

I got the table reconditioned and reassembled today.
table4.JPG
You know how I like my black wrinkle finish :D so I painted the table while it was apart. I reworked the lead screw assemblies To remove any backlash. I am making new dials. The original dials were about 1" in diameter.
table5 - Copy.JPG
Here you can see the new large dial backs. I have to start the numbered dials next. They are .100" per revolution. The new 2 3/4" dials will be easy to read with greater accuracy.

Sounds like a plan. Will be following along with great interest. Hope your treating yourself well. Mike

Hi Mark Really enjoyed your last grinder project. Hope your health allows you the time in the workshop to complete this project. Thanks for the post you provide on your projects.

I got the dials for the table made. These are great. 2 3/4" in diameter. There is about .150" between marks and each mark is .001". You can easily see to adjust a quarter thousandth on these dials. There is a thumb screw lock so the dials can be zeroed at any position.
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG
Next is to make the hand wheels.

Back