Another Tool & Cutter Grinder

While my precision drill sharpener is great up to 1/2", I needed to sharpen my 1" drill today. I had been hand grinding it and I did a good job but I thought it would be nice to be able to sharpen my big drills to precision like the smaller drills.. So........ I whipped up an attachment for my new T&C grinder to do just that.
image.jpeg
I used a block of aluminum, cut a 90 degree "V" in it. Put a 10-24 bolt on each side through a block to clamp the bit in the "V".
image.jpeg The front is relieved to clear the grinding wheel. A stud is adjustable to locate the drill flute in a horizontal position. ( the stud will get a point turned on it now that I know it works.)
image.jpeg A threaded rod with an adjustable block holds the drill in place when indexing.
image.jpeg The unit clamps in the swivel vise on the grinder which is set at the required angles.
image.jpeg Here the drill is mounted and passed in front of the wheel. This side is ground as needed, noting the hand wheel reading. The drill is loosened and turned 180 degrees to grind the other flute. The block at the rear keeps the drill located exactly the same in the fixture. The second flute is ground to the same reading on the hand wheel. Now the secondary angle is ground and the vise is readjusted to the primary angle. The grinding process is repeated to grind the primary angle to achieve a land at the desired width. This whole process took about 10 minutes, but now my large bit is ground precision just like all my other drills.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpegThis is the finished drill. Came out perfect!

It is a little more work and more steps to sharpen drills on the T&C grinder but that is fine as the big drills aren't sharpened that often.

Now that I know this thing works, I will refine it into a nice professional piece of tooling.

Mark, thanks so much for those final pictures, without them I just wouldn't understand how this all worked. Now that I see it.
It all makes sense now..

But, what does the "T & C" stand for in T&C grinder? Sorry for the newb question(s)..

Mark, thanks so much for those final pictures, without them I just wouldn't understand how this all worked. Now that I see it.
It all makes sense now..

But, what does the "T & C" stand for in T&C grinder? Sorry for the newb question(s)..
TOOL & CUTTER GRINDER.

A tool and cutter grinder will grind and sharpen almost any tool, but you have to make the fixtures to hold them.

I made a better flute rest. I like this better. Made from hacksaw blade.
image.jpeg

On to more tweaking the design.

Ok ..... I think I tweaked this thing all I can.
image.jpeg image.jpeg I put a square rod on the rear for the length stop. With the threaded rod , my stop flopped around and it took three hands to hold it in place and tighten it. This one won't rotate. I just slide it up to the bit and tighten a thumb screw.....woo... hoo... This is nice. Not bad for an afternoon's work. I can now sharpen all my big drills over 1/2".

Did anyone else end up making this T&C grinder?

Mark good to see you back on deck, as always your work is an inspiration.

Mark
Did you do a pdf of the build and if so could I get it?
Nelson Collar
Nelson did you get a reply, I have just come back to the forum after quite some time,
I saw photos of this build very professional and now they are no longer there, is it me or the site, is there a PDF for the build.
The thought of using linear bearings and Marks twist on things just spins my bearings.
I like you have a Quorn that can go into a box.
Would like to hear your reply, can you imagine building stuff in the bottom of the globe and our $ exchange rate........you guys are spoilt.

Back