Another tool needing identified

Willjoe21

Registered
Registered
Good afternoon everyone! I hope you are all having a great Saturday so far! I was digging through the tools that I received with my lathe and found this. I first was thinking a boring device of some type but I think this is for a mill.....I would love for someone else to chime in and educate me as to what it is and how it would be used. Thank you in advance.Lathe tool.jpg

Call it a hole cutter or trepanning tool, the tool bit is not really correctly ground for that use, but that is what it is, yes, mostly used on mill or drill press. Usually they have a drill in the end rather than the guide pin shown.

Call it a hole cutter or trepanning tool, the tool bit is not really correctly ground for that use, but that is what it is, yes, mostly used on mill or drill press. Usually they have a drill in the end rather than the guide pin shown.
Ok. That makes sense. You would use the drill bit to locate/drill the hole and the cutter would cut an circle around it depending on how you have it adjusted. Thank you for your help! That's twice you've identified a random tool for me.

Here's the one I inherited from Fred. A little more sophisticated, but the same principal.

WP_20191220_07_37_55_Pro.jpg

Ok. That makes sense. You would use the drill bit to locate/drill the hole and the cutter would cut an circle around it depending on how you have it adjusted. Thank you for your help! That's twice you've identified a random tool for me.
I have also replaced the drill with a guide pin to make the tool more stable. That's me, random tool identifier!

Back