• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Another "What Is It?" Bridgeport Accessory?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ironside

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I got this in a mixed lot of Bridgeport stuff. It's about 16" long overall. The bore is pretty much the exact size as a Bridgeport J Head spindle. The mechanism attached to the bracket can slide and lock at any point in the slot. As you rotate the knurled part the shaft extends or retracts. I 100_3950.JPG 100_3951.JPG 100_3952.JPG 100_3953.JPG Thanks in advance for any input.

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'd use it to zero in the head after angular usage. Looks like a fun thing to make for my mill!

benmychree

John York
I had a similar device for a Bridgeport "M" head, it is a tracer to do 3 dimensional work; the adjustable tracer finger rubs against a positive and the ball end mill cuts the same form in the workpiece.

cg285

Registered
Registered
i'd like to see that in action. looks like it would take 3 hands

trace piece looks similar to an automotive boring bar mic

benmychree

John York
All it took was downward pressure on the spindle, follow a line of cut, step over, repeat. On the one that I had, the center distance between the spindle housing and the follower was adjustable, I don't think it was more than about 10" or 12" long overall.

benmychree

John York
The trace piece would be the same radius as the ball end mill being used; on mine, the tracer was removable so different sizes could be used.

It's the stylus for tracing on a mill or router tracer machine. It would have a special free float air or hydraulic table or head.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Yes, I have I one those. Bridgeport called it a “Profiling Attachment”. They had two versions. Part #PM-1 was for the M head. And Part #PJ-1 was for the J head. And sorry or hopefully you have the spring attachment that goes with yours?
profiling.jpg

Last edited:

Ironside

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Thanks, you guys are awesome. It makes sense now. You can see where it is able to accept different type profile tips. And nope, this is the only part that I have. I can look through the box of stuff that came with the lot, but I don't remember seeing a spring attachment.

benmychree

John York
Yes, I have I one those. Bridgeport called it a “Profiling Attachment”. They had two versions. Part #PM-1 was for the M head. And Part #PJ-1 was for the J head. And sorry or hopefully you have the spring attachment that goes with yours?
View attachment 261170
I remember now, that the spring part of the attachment was mounted on the bolts that the head swiveled on.

[6]
[5] [7]