Another "What Is It?" Bridgeport Accessory?

Ironside

Registered
Registered
I got this in a mixed lot of Bridgeport stuff. It's about 16" long overall. The bore is pretty much the exact size as a Bridgeport J Head spindle. The mechanism attached to the bracket can slide and lock at any point in the slot. As you rotate the knurled part the shaft extends or retracts. I 100_3950.JPG100_3951.JPG100_3952.JPG100_3953.JPG Thanks in advance for any input.

I'd use it to zero in the head after angular usage. Looks like a fun thing to make for my mill!

i'd like to see that in action. looks like it would take 3 hands

trace piece looks similar to an automotive boring bar mic

All it took was downward pressure on the spindle, follow a line of cut, step over, repeat. On the one that I had, the center distance between the spindle housing and the follower was adjustable, I don't think it was more than about 10" or 12" long overall.

The trace piece would be the same radius as the ball end mill being used; on mine, the tracer was removable so different sizes could be used.

It's the stylus for tracing on a mill or router tracer machine. It would have a special free float air or hydraulic table or head.

Yes, I have I one those. Bridgeport called it a “Profiling Attachment”. They had two versions. Part #PM-1 was for the M head. And Part #PJ-1 was for the J head. And sorry or hopefully you have the spring attachment that goes with yours?
profiling.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, you guys are awesome. It makes sense now. You can see where it is able to accept different type profile tips. And nope, this is the only part that I have. I can look through the box of stuff that came with the lot, but I don't remember seeing a spring attachment.

Yes, I have I one those. Bridgeport called it a “Profiling Attachment”. They had two versions. Part #PM-1 was for the M head. And Part #PJ-1 was for the J head. And sorry or hopefully you have the spring attachment that goes with yours?
View attachment 261170
I remember now, that the spring part of the attachment was mounted on the bolts that the head swiveled on.

Back